Dropping Profanity In Kernel Code Comments: Linux Gets "Hugs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    If anything, this set of patches was submitted with the intention of creating discord on the mailing list. It's low effort and the changes are small enough to be handled by hand.
    It's this exact set of patches that would have triggered Linus of yore. To which the proper response would have been, "What the fuck is this shit? Keep this garbage out of the kernel and propose a better solution. Closed."

Let's imagine for a second in an alternate universe, that scenario happened. Michael would post about it, and we'd all laugh and say "WTF? I'm with Linus. This was pretty retarded."

Would _anyone_ say "Wow, Linus went too far. He could have been nicer about the set of patches, he didn't need to be that aggressive about an innocent change."

I'll let others decide how we would have reacted. But I'd be willing to bet anything not a single person would have said the latter.

Comment

Honestly, I think that the point of replacing everything with the word "hug", make sentences look ridiculous, is actually to help people understand that it was ridiculous to use sex-related words everywhere.

What is also ridiculous is to see comments of people saying basically: "if we can not put sexually-connoted words in comments, the code is going to be bad".

I hope that this CoC will help FOSS community getting ride of people behaving like poorly educated 12 years old boys.

Comment

Ironic - people getting offended over people [SJW's] getting offended.

Yeah, this is kinda dumb, but it's also a little bit funny. As much as the people who felt the need to replace "fuck" with "hug" need to lighten up, so does everyone who is moaning about this.

Comment

$ grep -ri fuck win_src | wc -l
          wc: Nope. There is just too much fucking shit going on there.

Now that I've stopped fucking around... I wonder about the profanities in closed source projects.
          I actually thought that Linux was a pretty profanity free code-base from what I have seen.

I really stopped counting all the profanity comments I have put in closed source code.
          But wth am I to do? Stupid fucking code is still stupid fucking code. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            What about profanity in commit messages?
            Git rebase and reword that commit, but I don't give a crap, I'm pretty tired of this SJW shit, it will all end up destroying itself anyway. I'm a nice person, but I don't need a policy to tell me how do dictate how I interact with people, nor do I need a political document that the CoC is to tell me how I need to respond to someones political agenda.

Just leave it out of Open Source, as I've said on twitter, show me your code and skills, I don't care about your gender, etc. I really am getting tired of this.

Comment

there was actually an interesting idea in the mailing list http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...1.3/07225.html
              instead of silly 'hug', let's replace 'f*ck' with 'CoC' .

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post
                there was actually an interesting idea in the mailing list http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...1.3/07225.html
                instead of silly 'hug', let's replace 'f*ck' with 'CoC' .
                Considering Al Viro has been developing the Linux kernel for so long, one of the 'senior' folks... that is amusing to me

Comment

Fucks, shits, craps, WTF... just replace with CENSORED

Now kids should contribute code
                  Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I used to think it was the puritanical christian types that were the most dull people to be around... Turns out they're positively lively and interesting by comparison to what some people want to turn the kernel into in their effort to attract the groups they've tried so hard to attract and failed at so badly.

It kind of reminds me about that definition of insanity, i.e doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The really sad part about these efforts, particularly the part about trying to make kernel development more attractive to women, is that research has shown, time and time again, that the more egalitarian a society becomes, the more different the average choices between men and women become.

In this context it means that the more obstacles, real and perceived, that you get out of the way of women going into tech, the less likely they are to actually do so. Not that there haven't been any additional obstacles in the past, but these days the biggest factor in so few women going into tech is that they're, on average, just way more interested in other things.

It's probably no surprise to anyone when I say that you should take issue with actual obstacles, not end results that don't please you. If a group chooses that they don't want to do something, then let them do something else. They're not bound to what you want them to do and really should act like they are. We're talking about adults here, not little children who want to eat hamburgers and candy every day of the week so it helps absolutely nobody when people do so.

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
                      This is where SJWs and dumb politically-correct people are leading us.
                      No, this is what happens when high-functioning autists don't realize they're bing a passive-aggressive jackass. It's almost always a complete waste of time for all involved.

Comment

Working...
                      X