No announcement yet.

Dropping Profanity In Kernel Code Comments: Linux Gets "Hugs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History is being rewritten in front of our eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
      Why hugs? Why not euphemisms?

E.g. fucking > really
      fucked > messed up

So "IOC3 is really messed up beyond belief", that way the meaning isn't lost.

EDIT: actually I'll go one step further and do all the quotes in the article:

"IOC3 is really messed up beyond belief", "Only Sun can take such nice parts and mess up the programming interface like this. Good job guys...", "Really broken ABI", "avoid messing up the memory controller (somehow)", and "We are miserable poor guys..."
      You could submit a new patch lol

Comment

They should replace bugs with hugs, as we were harassful to bugs and once hugs became harassful in about 20 years we should revert that again
        Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          Why hugs? Why not euphemisms?

E.g. fucking > really
          fucked > messed up

So "IOC3 is really messed up beyond belief", that way the meaning isn't lost.

EDIT: actually I'll go one step further and do all the quotes in the article:

"IOC3 is really messed up beyond belief", "Only Sun can take such nice parts and mess up the programming interface like this. Good job guys...", "Really broken ABI", "avoid messing up the memory controller (somehow)", and "We are miserable poor guys..."
          Submit your own version, if it's better that'll get accepted over the hugs

Comment

I'll just leave this here:

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              fuck this shit.
              Exactly this. The majority of profanity in the Linux kernel comes out of frustration so I think it can be acceptable.

Now I feel like ranting hard about this patch...
              Last edited by tildearrow; 30 November 2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Submit your own version, if it's better that'll get accepted over the hugs
                Agreed, it took all of how many minutes for him to think of that? And it's light years a better solution than this joke hugs shit.

This is what happens when the problem becomes cloudy and muddied, e.g. we must do away with the F word! and instead of thinking of a proper solution, hugs was proposed?

Seriously, I'm really fucking annoyed by this. I'm not going to venture into SJW/etc territory and take my post there because I think the issue of being kind/courteous to each other got inflated with this sort of nonsense. But this has to be a *huge* red flag of bogus solutions that do nothing but hurt the entire project and community.

Comment

This is so hugging pretentious....

Comment

If anything, this set of patches was submitted with the intention of creating discord on the mailing list. It's low effort and the changes are small enough to be handled by hand.

Comment

They should replace fucks with ducks and bugs with hugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X