Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple's New Hardware With The T2 Security Chip Will Currently Block Linux From Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by grigi View Post

Actually it is a supported touchpad on a i2c bus, I have one.
    You have to set up i2c correctly in the kernel (by default it only works on Intel hw) and then use libinput as it doesn't work in synaptics.
    Then it is actually quite nice.
    How to setup i2c bus in kernel? Btw, since you already know how to do that, you could directly reply the askubuntu post I linked.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    The "Ubuntu reference" has for example nice DELL 5495, however this device has a touchpad that claims to be a mouse, so don't expect any gestures, scroll, taps-to-click to work.
    Actually it is a supported touchpad on a i2c bus, I have one.
    You have to set up i2c correctly in the kernel (by default it only works on Intel hw) and then use libinput as it doesn't work in synaptics.
    Then it is actually quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Personally I see no place for anything Apple in the world. Their hardware is truly anti-consumer, they prioritise form over function every time. Their os (specifically OSX) is a pile of stinking blegh. Yes their touchpads used to be the best, now they are just too big. Their hardware used to be really well done, now it is dongle hell and the worlds worst keyboard.

Apple did a lot to make computing worse for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Never bothered with Apple gear and could never understand why anyone would. Overpriced and underperforming. And beloved by the consumption-as-religion class that also believes they are achieving social justice and environmental justice through their choice of coffee shops and ice cream brands.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    It is safe to say Mac OS is light years ahead of Linux and Windows when it comes to stability and reliability.
    Stable and reliable at UI updates.... I remember macOS grinding to a snail pace for mouse/keyboard input either due to CPU or memory pressure, took about 30 minutes or longer to kill some tasks or save my work (I think the process that was causing the problem was the macOS kernel or something). Despite that, the spinning busy cursor icon was really fluid and smooth, and some apps on the dock that wanted attention bounced up and down buttery smooth... priorities lol. That was in 2016.

Majority of my macOS experiences were negative, only nice for casual use, trying to be productive on it like I was with Windows or Linux was full of issues :\ Ones specific to macOS that most of the communities advice to resolve was to throw more money away.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post
    You can install Linux on a virtual machine. And said virtual machine of course runs under macOS. Not the other way around.
    > Or are you talking about the other way? Running Linux in a VM guest on macOS? Ew. At least with a Linux host you can make a guest VM more native in performance by giving it exclusive hardware access(such as GPU or Disk).

Already covered that in the same post. Running Linux as a desktop OS in a VM for me is not pleasant(unless the host is providing hardware passthrough)

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post
    there might be different preferences regarding the OS, so that might be a reason to buy apple-hardware.
    Buying these comically overpriced boxes to not use macOS makes no sense to me though ^^
    Many companies buy Apple hardware for all their employees, at my previous job I got two Macbook Pro laptops over the years. I agree won't ever buy one myself, but I must confess tee hardware was the best build quality and it had the best touch-pad that I have ever used. Magsafe was amazing too (RIP). I loved a lot of things that macOS provided, like the ease of installing applications and amount of applications that supported the OS. I hated so much more things about macOS. I would consider using Apple hardware again if I did not have to pay for it, but not their software at lest not for work.

I am currently using a Dell Latitude 5495 w/ Ryzen 2500U which I am much more happy with (overall). The performance of my current laptop is multiple times better and the cost is between 1/2 and 1/3 less compared to a new Macbook Pro in my country.

PS: I would never use VirtualBox to run Linux as guest, even if someone held a gun next to my head! VMware Fusion was okay if you had enough RAM and extra cash.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

lmao, ok
    It would surely save a lot of costs, and Apple isn't locking shit down because of user security anyway.

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Which also means that this T2 is running parallel to the Intel ME, and I quite frankly suspect that it is actually just a ME "application" or software module. As what it does is exactly what the ME is designed to do (and doing in more locked down systems).
    lmao, ok

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    In many computers Secure Boot can be easily disabled directly from BIOS, anyway.

Really, why should Apple care about any Linux distribution. On a typical HP or Dell machine Ubuntu works fine.
    That is a requirement of Microsoft certification for non-ARM systems:
    Enable/Disable Secure Boot. On non-ARM systems, it is required to implement the ability to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup. A physically present user must be allowed to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup without possession of PKpriv. A Windows Server may also disable Secure Boot remotely using a strongly authenticated (preferably public-key based) out-of-band management connection, such as to a baseboard management controller or service processor. Programmatic disabling of Secure Boot either during Boot Services or after exiting EFI Boot Services MUST NOT be possible. Disabling Secure Boot must not be possible on ARM systems.
    Adding custom keys is also mandatory for non-ARM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X