Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple's New Hardware With The T2 Security Chip Will Currently Block Linux From Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's New Hardware With The T2 Security Chip Will Currently Block Linux From Booting

Phoronix: Apple's New Hardware With The T2 Security Chip Will Currently Block Linux From Booting

Apple's MacBook Pro laptops have become increasingly unfriendly with Linux in recent years while their Mac Mini computers have generally continued working out okay with most Linux distributions due to not having to worry about multiple GPUs, keyboards/touchpads, and other Apple hardware that often proves problematic with the Linux kernel. But now with the latest Mac Mini systems employing Apple's T2 security chip, they took are likely to crush any Linux dreams...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On a positive note:
    By forcing Linux users to buy hardware that is designed for Linux, they are eventually causing it to be known how large the Linux market share really is and also diverging the sales to the suppliers of Linux hardware like System76, Dell and Purism.

Comment

there might be different preferences regarding the OS, so that might be a reason to buy apple-hardware.
      Buying these comically overpriced boxes to not use macOS makes no sense to me though ^^

Comment

Even some of the more exotic Chinese hardware that I have ( based on Atom Z-8350 ) boots Linux without any problems. Getting it to work flawlessly though is another thing but that's mostly because of the Linux kernel and the kernel drivers.

If Apple decided they don't want Linux running on their toys that's that, people can just get something else and that's it. In all honesty I think Apple can afford to do it because I think very few people that buy Apple will run Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
          there might be different preferences regarding the OS, so that might be a reason to buy apple-hardware.
          Buying these comically overpriced boxes to not use macOS makes no sense to me though ^^
          Unless you are a developer and want to test/develop on windows, macos and linux but don't want multiple machines around.

Comment

Honestly, I've always wondered why someone would buy highly overpriced Apple hardware to put GNU/Linux on it.
            I know some people buy Apple because it's cool and/or it shows that they have money to spend (often taxpayers' money, of my experience ; and after that, they say government must save money…) but a technically informed person (GNU/Linux user) should not do that.
            I also heard some people saying macOS is easier to use than GNU/Linux (macOS most probably not harder to use, but distros like Mint are easy to use ; the only potential hard thing is BIOS configuration when installing, especially with UEFI) and safer than Windows (which (10) I actually find pretty hard and inconvenient when I use it for games ; I will never use it again as main OS), but in this case, you do not put GNU/Linux on your mac.

Comment

The article makes it seems that you can't boot Linux at all on machines with a T2 chip. If you actually read the entire document, there's an option in macOS recovery mode to completely disable secure boot to allow any OS to run (see pages 10-11).

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
                Unless you are a developer and want to test/develop on windows, macos and linux but don't want multiple machines around.
                Install a virtual machine and you don't even need to boot.

Comment

Can't wait for the lawsuits to rain from the skies :')

Comment

And I thought Secure Boot was trash...

Comment

Working...
                    X