No announcement yet.

IBM Announces Deal To Acquire Red Hat At $34 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Red Hat statement: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-h...cloud-provider

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I didn't have such feeling until I read your post. Why do you feel bad about the purchase?
      IBM has been having trouble re-inventing itself and investors are losing patience.

Worst case scenario is that Red Hat could get dragged down with the sinking ship that is the husk of IBM.

Also, IBM corporate culture could infect Red Hat.

Comment

Given IBM's focus on server and cloud cimpucomp, I'm worried about the desktop parts. Red hat does a lot of very important work on the Linux desktop and graphics stack. I hope that doesn't get interfered with, otherwise it's a huge blow to open source software

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          — did you ever see a POWER-based consumer desktop or laptop?
          Not recently but that is hardly IBMs fault considering the effort they put into PowerPC back in the day. The market back then was very much of the mind set that you must have an Intel Processor and Windows on your machine. Thankfully the rise of Android and IOS has destroyed the Intel myth. Would a Power based system on the desktop be successful today, that is hard to say but people are trying. The question is will anybody buy such hardware?

The lack of Power on the desktop isn’t really a factor here at all as IBMs client solutions run on PC’s, Mac’s and IOS devices. Some of those clients are running Linux. IBM is basically a software as a service company these days. As such they need an OS that enables their business. Linux is the only OS that runs across all of their hardware platforms excluding iOS devices, so they really need the works.

Im really hopeful that this works out long term. There will certainly be short term issues but I’d like to see a movement to modernize Linux and frankly IBM is one of the few companies that can do so.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Aside of you trolling, why do you want those projects killed. It is opensource, you don't have to use them, just use the garbage you are used to...
            Yes and no. While I'm not in favor of killing them, I do see the complaints as somewhat legit, considering how dominant they are in the Linux ecosystem.

Sure, you can find a dark corner where you don't have to touch them, but most people seriously involved in Linux cannot completely avoid them.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Systemd, in particular, was not driven as any sort of consensus effort. A small cadre created it, then proceeded to ram it down everyone's throats. It did not come about as any sort of broader consensus of what should replace that constellation of Linux userspace utilities.

Comment

34 billion divided with 12'000 employees, thats 2.8 million dollars per employee. If the payout is that big, then Linus Torvalds is due another *hefty* payout by Red Hat. Having read Linus' biography, the previous payout of x-million dollars worth of stock was the biggest payout in his career.

Comment

It is has to remain positive here and reflect upon what IBM is as a company today. I see a huge upside potential here.

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                I can't say I was happy with the news, but it might turn out to be a good thing after all. Apparently they're going to let Jim Whitehurst and the management team lead RedHat and maintain Red Hat's headquarters, facilities, brands and practices. Time will tell though, I guess.
                I honestly believe that this may very well be the kick inthe pants that Linux and especially the gnome crowd needs. One of Linux biggest issues has been user app quality and that is where the greatest improvement potential lies. It isn’t stretch to say that 13 year olds have higher quality apps sitting on Apples iOS App Store. A lot of that is due to the GUI tool sets and allied libraries that Apple provides, with Swift rapidly improving the picture even more.

The best east thing that could happen here is greater involvement in app development for Linux. And that means better libraries and compilers.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Let us hope it is for the best. I have a bad feeling about this...
                  Without the billions IBM has poured into Linux, along with Oracle and countless others this platform is DOA 15 years ago. RedHat will now be coordinating with Apple on some more projects.

Comment

I worked at IBM for few years and for sure it's not a good company. Every software that they buy it's poor supported and not developed in right direction. My team have to use it btw, as I was in the os support team. Decision about selling Red Hat scary me, as I am a Fedora user... What now? It was very unexpected for me. I thought that Red Hat is good, stable company with a lot of good engineers and good products. Now, I don't know what to say. Ubuntu or Freebsd? I know what the IBM's work system looks like and that's why I think it will not bring anything good. Lots of Red Hat developers work in Fedora project. With IBM vision this project is going to the dead. Without Red Hat money also. Maybe it's time for a change...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                      Redhat is where systemd and alot of GTK garbage comes from ... maybe this will kill it. Sad to see this happening to such an otherwise important company though.
                      System D is hardly garbage.

As as for the GTK / gnome, you may have a point even if it is a little excessive. Mind you I like my Fedora based machine but for the love of god they are stuck in the dark ages. I say this as a person nearing retirement age too. To put it bluntly user apps should not require development with C and they sure as hell don’t need JavaScript. I see a lot of issues with apps that simply don’t exist on other platforms and frankly filing but reports for something that shouldn’t happen is a bit of a strain.

Comment

Working...
                      X