Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Open-Source Group Reportedly Shuts Down

Phoronix: Samsung Open-Source Group Reportedly Shuts Down

Samsung has reportedly shut down the Samsung Open-Source Group (Samsung OSG) as a blow to the wider free software ecosystem considering the group's prolific contributions over the years from low-level open-source projects to desktop/user-facing code-bases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can they at least provide a valid reason why? I don't think open-source would ever hurt their business...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Can they at least provide a valid reason why? I don't think open-source would ever hurt their business...
      I haven't heard any other information yet, but likely the cost of employing 40+ developers wasn't worthwhile investment from their perspective.... So presumably will have a much smaller developer set not as the OSG, contract it out, or just get more developers working at lower cost in Korea.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Various updates to article for those that haven't checked in a few hours.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Development on Wayland upstream has slowed to a crawl as the basic protocol specification and server is pretty much solid and ready to use. When Wayland was under development, they could influence the process by funding their own developers to contribute to the protocol. Now there's not as much to gain. Although it is great to have corporations fund development, this doesn't seem like a catastrophic event for any open source projects, but rather just business.

Thanks to the Samsung OSG developers: hopefully they can all find other positions contributing to OSS!

Comment

Good Luck at Intel, RedHat, Google or any of the other tech giants. I bet there is more than enough need for skilled people.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
              Development on Wayland upstream has slowed to a crawl as the basic protocol specification and server is pretty much solid and ready to use. When Wayland was under development, they could influence the process by funding their own developers to contribute to the protocol. Now there's not as much to gain. Although it is great to have corporations fund development, this doesn't seem like a catastrophic event for any open source projects, but rather just business.

Thanks to the Samsung OSG developers: hopefully they can all find other positions contributing to OSS!
              +1. It looks like Samsung OSG served its purpose as its job is done.

Comment

Im not thrilled because if this represents a withdrawl from Open Source then I will have to disown their products.

They can do what they want but they will loose the favor of die hard techies if they discontinue hospitality and involvement in open source.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I haven't heard any other information yet, but likely the cost of employing 40+ developers wasn't worthwhile investment from their perspective.... So presumably will have a much smaller developer set not as the OSG, contract it out, or just get more developers working at lower cost in Korea.
                  Agreed. It's probably more worth to employ another bunch of middle management paper-pushers instead of engineers that actually contribute to building something...

Comment

No matter if Wayland "stable" or not, I though Samsung was a really big number, so a few developers salaries wouldn't impact them that much. Besides, there are always new fields to be worked at: file systems, drivers for all the Samsung hardware, protocols that are in use in Samsung hardware, networking tech / security and so on.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X