No announcement yet.

Samsung Open-Source Group Reportedly Shuts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung has been on my list of "Companies I'm mad at and placed last on purchase options", because of their Memory division is the leader of the companies that are inflating prices, making me and a lot of people to postpone a system upgrade (to a Ryzen 2700 and 3200 memory).

This news makes me want to bad mouth them to whoever asks me about hardware/electronics purchase advise.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      You can in fact look at mail list history from 1991 forwards. I am sorry to say Linus Torvalds language was fairly like what he is now. He got nastier as he got ignored.

Basically the early 1990s Linus Torvalds was a fairly polite person.
      Well when everything is fine, he is still polite - see his t-shirt When problem comes, a bit of affect also comes. Nope, he was always the same.

Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Well when everything is fine, he is still polite - see his t-shirt When problem comes, a bit of affect also comes. Nope, he was always the same.
        Really go back and look at when Linux was in the minix mailing list and the early days of the Linux mailing list. Those archives are on line. Just because at a particular time Linus was wearing a impolite shirt that does not mean that is how he was running development. When you follow the records Linus language starts going down hill in 1998. So the first 6-7 years of Linux he was not using swear words and not using direct personal attacks.

Google has archived the old mailing lists dungeon.

dungeon reality here instead of a smart ass photo go back through the archives of mailing list interactions of Linus they are archived on-line and learn your idea is wrong. Linus bad language and nasty person attacking responses is something he developed over time. Also it lines up with his email answers getting shorter.

Nothing I can find in the first 6-7 years of Linux would have got Linus banned under the current CoC.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          Funny that people were offended in this forum last time when I said capitalism isn't compatible with FOSS.
          Capitalism is not compatible even with itself, it is something like Windows - as it require resetting every now and then

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            When you follow the records Linus language starts going down hill in 1998.
            He, he, there was no any down hill that was also a politicized year like this one , that was year wnen a group of individuals advocated that the term 'free software' should be replaced by 'open source' software . Nowdays group of individuals pushing CoC, but Torvalds is still the same

Both times wording pushings were to be more comfortable for the corporate world

See, out of nowhere 'free software' become 'open source' software and now out of nowhere CoC was self written, group of individuals found it in deep forests of Amazon and is likely dictated by God itself - so of course HollyWood should make a movie about it and we should get some interactive games about all that

Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Im not thrilled because if this represents a withdrawl from Open Source then I will have to disown their products.

They can do what they want but they will loose the favor of die hard techies if they discontinue hospitality and involvement in open source.
              Wow, does this mean you will be buying Apples products now considering the number of people they have working in open source?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                No matter if Wayland "stable" or not, I though Samsung was a really big number, so a few developers salaries wouldn't impact them that much. Besides, there are always new fields to be worked at: file systems, drivers for all the Samsung hardware, protocols that are in use in Samsung hardware, networking tech / security and so on.
                Those developer salaries can easily add up to millions especially if employees in California. It can easily cost a company 2X an employees salary so if the developers are taking home $50,000 a year (extremely low but easy math) that is $100,000 a year to Samsung. For 40 developers that would be $4,000,000 a year. The real maths would easily double that number. By the time you consider other factors not directly developer related, you can be easily talking 10 million a year.

The sad sad reality is that money is always a factor in business. Considering the state of some of Samsung’s products I would not be surprised at all to see them beefing up the processor design teams. Hopefully some clarity will come as to what is actually happening at Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by tech05 View Post
                  @dungeon: We don't need people who can't behave themselves. In fact, good social skills are very important for a team effort. The people complaining about the CoC are the same who would be fired right away from most companies because they are burden on the team.
                  This isn’t true at all. All a CoC will do is empower the weak, mentally ill and stupid to pursue their goals in the face of rational technical resistance.

It is is no different than a company trying to be inclusive and justifying hiring someone that is obviously mentally ill. Three weeks later you have someone that is completely innocent stabbed, cops at the door and a whole lot of upset co workers. There really is no good excuse for these sorts of policies as they are oblivious to the fact that people have agendas that are not in sync with the business or community in this case. Being inclusive has never improved anything, high standards, in our case high code quality, should be the only metric by which a contributor is judged.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    Well that's a shame but I guess it makes perfect business sense.
                    Funny that people were offended in this forum last time when I said capitalism isn't compatible with FOSS.
                    People are offended because you are wrong. If there wasn’t some amount of compatibility companies like Redhat wouldn’t be succeeding and growing. Companies like Apple, IBM and many others wouldn’t be contributing massive amounts of resources to open source.

Beyond that we don’t even know why Samsung took this move. They could have a bunch of programmers in India taking up the slack for all we know. More likely is that money has become a problem at Samsung and they had to reallocate funds in a way to establish profitability.

Frankly business makes perfect sense. Offer a product people want and you make money. That money means you can pay your employees, whom can then feed themselves and buy more products. If your business isn’t successful well you then have problems paying employees and generating new products. On the flip side really successful businesses, pay their employees but also do good in the community, fianacing community events, charities, public projects and improve general liveability in the community. Without this focus on community and wealth FOSS wouldn’t even be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tech05 View Post
                      @dungeon: We don't need people who can't behave themselves. In fact, good social skills are very important for a team effort. The people complaining about the CoC are the same who would be fired right away from most companies because they are burden on the team.
                      I keep seeing this strawman constructed, with zero evidence, and it certainly doesn't even seem to be anecdotally true. Few people resist CoCs because they want to abuse others, it's all about ideological, political, and freedom of speech issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X