Linus Torvalds Shows His New Polite Side While Pointing Out Bad Kernel Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by triangle View Post
    I have a feeling this will only be temporary. The more bad code he looks at, the faster the effects of re-education wear off.
    Found the example that people sign it without apparent verifying is the worst. Because new developers, or a developer suddenly making a new driver may miss that default config entry. But a patch forwarded without actual check from the people assigned to do so and intercept those trivial problems (or most of them) only bring more work to others. In my work which is not computer related we had this issue, people signing things as verified when they didn't took the time to actually verified them.

At least Linus will have the excuse to take an absence every month to recharge his new mojo
    Last edited by darkcoder; 28 October 2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Has Linus been sent to the Re-neducation centre ?

Comment

Kudos to him for trying to be better at communication. And boo to everyone who was acting like the CoC means the end of the world.

Comment

I always thought of Linus as being a wannabe Gregory House like this guy
          4Y1IC54hpe60aqaLCgjn7zlcSMH/IPxh5/cLnX6RKp0= I use this channel to post repair videos from *Rossmann Repair Group Inc* I also discuss random things of interest to me. This is, and always will be, my personal variety show. I teach Macbook component level logic board repair from a common sense, everyman's perspective. I try to make it seem viable, and entertaining. I also go over business concepts & philosophy that will be important to running & maintaining a sustainable, profitable business. You can read more about our company here & inquire about service. https://www.rossmanngroup.com We have a paid forum to provide support to component level technicians https://boards.rossmanngroup.com If you want a Macbook repair from Rossmann Repair Group Inc, check us out at https://sendyourmacbook.com

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Hopefully his patience will explode soon enough and be back to his former self.
            That's the danger, 10-20 more very police messages saying You Royally Screwed Up in an overly polite tone and the rage could have built up to the boiling point where he gets in his car and drives to the worst bad code offenders and eradicates them one by one with an ice-pick. Remember, he is from Finland and that's a place where they sit in saunas for hours before they go rolling around in the snow and they aren't very socially adapted and they will stab you if you stand next to someone at the bus-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
              Then the CoC will be used against him and he will be asked to resign from his position.
              This is becoming a bit predictable.
              Could he be forced out of it? Since it was his own project originally..

Comment

Some have suggested, including Linus himself, it may be better off to let people blow off a little steam on an email board (which is better than in person, less threatening in proximity). Otherwise they bottle it up and it ends up being taken out through passive-aggressivism, backstabbing and so on, which is too common in workplaces. I think Linus is the kind of guy who needs to "clear his mind" by letting off a little steam sometimes and it may help him get back to focusing on the code rather than having it hang around in his consciousness. It could be the case that people that use colorful language may in fact be the least likely to try to do something worse like cause you to lose your job. In my experience it is often the most polite looking and soft spoken people who will do some of the worst things to one behind ones back.

Comment

Surely we are now witnessing the beginning of the end of the Linux kernel as we know it. If Linus can't be allowed to say things like

"Guys, this is not a dick-sucking contest. ...If Red Hat wants to deep-throat Microsoft, that's *your* issue":

or

"I'd also suggest that whoever was the genius who thought it
                  was a good idea to read things ONE F*CKING BYTE AT A TIME with system
                  calls for each byte should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does
                  idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering
                  that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?":

then I'm afraid that the quality of the Linux kernel will rapidly deteriorate.
                  At this point I believe the only thing that could save the kernel from a slow but certain death is if the community could somehow be persuaded to add the following section at the end of the CoC:

"EXCEPTION CLAUSE

Notwithstanding the rules given in the section "Our Standards" above, Linus Benedict Torvalds shall always be allowed to use the word "dick" alternatively "cock". Specifically he shall always be allowed to use expressions like "dick sucking contest" alternatively "cock sucking contest"."

As a consequence of the above change to the CoC it shall thereafter simply go by the name the CoCk.
                  Last edited by tomas; 28 October 2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Should be easy to measure an increase in unnecessary time wasting.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                      I always thought of Linus as being a wannabe Gregory House like this guy
                      https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w
                      If you *always* thought that, then you are at the very least misinformed, because Linus and all this topic predates House MD. Gregory House is a Linus Torvalds wannabe.

Comment

Working...
                      X