Linus Torvalds Shows His New Polite Side While Pointing Out Bad Kernel Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exclaiming himself over capitalized sentences
    When I see that I always imagine a hysterically screeching 12 y.o. If Linus got rid of that, it could actually help the image of Linux developers - not crazy hackers in their basements, but actual people who can be professional about their work.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      So its been like 1 week and people are already doing things wrong. This does not bode well.
      to be fair, people have been doing things wrong for decades, how it is treated is now different

Comment

That's a bad comparison, Michael, because even the reference message was polite enough and clear.

Comment

I prefer the new human Torvalds. Behaviour changes take time and effort, I really appreciate it.

Being nice is how you get a good reputation; as a human being. I know there are a lot of triggered boys who moan when they're kicked off forums for being anti-social, and think that they /should/ be allowed to be loud mouthed bullies. But this is society, not the wild west. They can take their cowboy playtime somewhere else. It's reputation.

Comment

Nobody cares about his issues. As long as the kernel is keep running, who cares? There plenty of other that will resume the task.

Comment

I for one don't really care about Linus' language.
              I do care about the quality of his project instead.
              Which relies and stands also on his unique qualities.
              Of course, being more polite and less rough is an extra quality that can (maybe) make him a better person and a more authoritative leader.
              But if any of these "language and behavior enhancements" would lead to a lower quality project, then I'd go back to the good ol' Linus.
              For the sake of Linux.

Live long and prosper, Linus, whatever language you'll choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                When I see that I always imagine a hysterically screeching 12 y.o. If Linus got rid of that, it could actually help the image of Linux developers - not crazy hackers in their basements, but actual people who can be professional about their work.
                It's not easy to find a direct match from professional world for the position linus has, but the CEO level language he used to talk was probably more apt for that comparison (in professional environment those words just stay behind closed doors, but that doesn't really work in OSS).

Comment

Regardless if one prefers the "funny" former style of Torvalds the fact is that verbal abuse is not helping the *kernel*. Remember that several senior developers have left the kernel community out of resentment for some email that Linus wrote. This is not good. If the kernel is to become a thing for the future then we need all the enthusiasm in the community that we can get.

Yes, obviously some dev's will take liberties like enabling by default, and for sure that requires regulation, but if there's a small amount of unneeded negativity in the air, then maybe a talanted dev will go somewhere where there isn't. The reality of appearing unattractive to talent requires some adjustment.
                  Last edited by AdamOne; 28 October 2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Man, the crazies are out in force today.

Comment

I'm kind of flabbergasted about how many people here don't understand that this is about respecting people and their work and has nothing to do with this imaginary bs called "political correctness" that everyone seems to think is pushed upon them.
                      It feels like the forum is overrun by a bunch of teenagers.

Comment

Working...
                      X