Linus Torvalds Shows His New Polite Side While Pointing Out Bad Kernel Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Shows His New Polite Side While Pointing Out Bad Kernel Code

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Shows His New Polite Side While Pointing Out Bad Kernel Code

When Linus Torvalds announced last month that he would be taking a temporary leave of absence to work on his empathy and interpersonal skills as well as the adoption of a Linux kernel Code of Conduct, some Internet commenters thought this would lead Linus to being less strict about code quality and his standards for accepting new code to the mainline tree. Fortunately, he's shown already for the new Linux 4.20~5.0 cycle he isn't relaxing his standards but is communicating better when it comes to bringing up coding issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this doesn't lead to developers abusing his patience

Comment

I am not sure any of those comments was over the line.
      There was no hatefull language.
      It was mostly frustration about Linus having to repeat himself. Which is understandable in my opinion.

Comment

That sounds cool if he's nicer but it is a bit early to make conclusions. That being said, i have read the provided links and THAT is the "harsh" language "laced" with profanity !? I don't know if they are typical of the worst of Linus's posts but i find them very tame. And i have seen a few "cr@p" and "fvck" !?

Curse words aside, someone shocked by that would be traumatized by just the entrance exam here and would be unable to function in the real world.

I heard all these jokes about the "snowflakes" but come on, they are rants, right !? It's not for real !?

Comment

He probably cursed a lot while writing it and then he replaced curses with good words to be PC

Comment

Am I the only one who actually liked the 'old' Linus style?
            I always found his rants and colorful language amusing. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
              He probably cursed a lot while writing it and then he replaced curses with good words to be PC
              and threw a chair at the wall

Comment

I have a feeling this will only be temporary. The more bad code he looks at, the faster the effects of re-education wear off.

Comment

Maybe what he does is write a good rant and then sends it to some other kernel developer who has the job of rewriting it to be PC?

Comment

Old Linus is better. Enough with this "politically correct" crap. If new "devs" can't stand to be shouted at when they do something wrong, maybe they are not good enough for such a project. Politically correct crap makes usage of master/slave terminology to be removed from Python, male/female terminology is asked to be removed from goverment forms in some countries, what f....ing next? Pollitically correctness is a disease!

Comment

Working...
                    X