Richard Stallman Announces GNU Kind Communication Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
    Stallman's a lefty. A lot more awesome than most lefties but his inner nature cannot be changed. Good guy, but too compassionate in this case.
    being compassionate / uncompassionate is not what defines what part of the political spectrum a person is , is about the type of approach taken towards economic policies . Right wing , and left individuals can be uncaring in different ways , eg : the first by not caring about the consequences of de-regulation and the latter by restricting liberties , because is easier for them ( this is not an intrinsic characteristic of being leftist but it often goes hand in hand ) not because there is a valid reason to do so
    Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 22 October 2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      I like Stallman's approach. Sensible, non-authoritarian and appealing to people's better selves. A simple, yet very elegant document. No need for punitive committees. No divisive language. I hope this spreads far and wide.
      I like sqlite's CoC: https://www.sqlite.org/codeofconduct.html
      I'ts been in continuous use for over 1000 years, seems to be very mature.

Comment

One of the few times I agree with RMS.

Diversity for diversity's sake is foolish and only leads to affirmative action.

Comment

it looks like at least he used his brain. That being said why did he have to mention this ridiculous "pronouns" stuff ? It is not a big deal and most of the galaxy will politely ignore that kind of nonsense but do normal people in the USA even meet people with such preoccupations in real life ? On internet you meet all kind of weird stuff but in real life ?

It reminds me some laughable clickbait article about a bottle of toxic product that had been broke in a stairwell. But not any stairwell. One near a furry convention. Obviously furries are a big deal in the neck of the woods of that journalist.

But yeah, It's RMS after all and that statement looks globally sane.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

I like sqlite's CoC: https://www.sqlite.org/codeofconduct.html
            I'ts been in continuous use for over 1000 years, seems to be very mature.
            Ew. Bringing religion into software is gross.

Comment

I don't meet eye to eye with the man on a number of things, and I believe that's a sentiment shared by many others involved or interested in open source (including Linus), but this is one time where I definitely do agree with him and completely so. Not only that, but I think Greg and the rest of the people pushing for the Linux kernel to adopt a CoC could definitely take note of what he's just done because this is how you achieve the stated goal of a CoC without alienating anyone or risking that it becomes a tool to settle personal grudges.

However if I had to give him some advice to help the FSF be more welcoming to everyone I'd suggest he look into his demeanor when he gets angy and try to do something about his infamously low level of personal hygiene.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Ew. Bringing religion into software is gross.
                well fundamentally some of those things listed there aren't as bad though

Comment

I bet women can't wait to get involved in BSD. Linux is too boring for them now and they need something even more obscure.

Comment

GIMP = Green Is My Pepper

Comment

i think its a pretty decent guideline shielding most abusive behavior from any side.
                      Forced gender pronouns are a slippersy slope but i don't think they are implemented here in a way that can cause harm.
                      Other then that it seems to be focused on avoiding conflicts of any kinds.

Comment

Working...
                      X