No announcement yet.

Richard Stallman Announces GNU Kind Communication Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is fantastic. Far better than listing groups to offer special treatment - simply make sure that your community is a welcoming place for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
      This is fantastic. Far better than listing groups to offer special treatment - simply make sure that your community is a welcoming place for everyone.
      In my view, the goal to create a welcoming place for everyone implicitly includes the goal to support demographic diversity.

I even doubt that other CoCs in the field really have a different intention than what Stallman intends; they just use other words (and make it possibly overly complicated).
      Last edited by sverris; 22 October 2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Ew. Bringing religion into software is gross.
        Some of the lines are so ridiculous it has to be a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

In my view, the goal to create a welcoming place for everyone implicitly includes the goal to support demographic diversity.

I even doubt that other CoCs in the field really have a different intention than what Stallman intends; they just use other words (and make it possibly overly complicated).
          no, shit like the "contributor covenant coc" is purely about power grabbing, oh and marxism. plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mama View Post
            Have you seen sqlite's new COC? xD
            https://www.sqlite.org/codeofconduct.html
            Now THAT is how you apply a sense of humor to these things! Love it.

Comment

Richard Stallman, the original Space Cowboy.

Comment

Fuck I hate this shit. One thing I really loves by FLOSS when I found it more thank 20 years ago was how blunt and honest the communication was. This fucking soft approach to adapt to women who cannot ferd for them selves is just useles.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

All free software projects I've so far participated in were very welcoming, without a CoC: contributions were accepted if they were viewed as beneficial to the project, and rejected otherwise. No one asked about my breed/fur colour/age/favourite snack/attribute-du-jour because these things did not matter, except to CoC-writers and -enforcers of course.

Comment

1. As many people have already stated, this document is obviously better than the toxic garbage that is the contributors covenant or any other similar weaponized CoCs like the hateful geek feminism. Hopefully the open source community will rapidly submit patches to replace the toxic contributors covenant with this.

Look to Ruby and the sickening attacks on Matz(Ruby's creator) by Coraline Ada Ehmke for a hint of what a hateful piece of garbage the person who created the contributors covenant is. This sick individual is actively working on creating an organization staffed(with salaries) to police open source projects using the toxic contributors covenant for cases of wrongthink.

2. This document makes the all too common mistake of being way, way, way too long. The longer a CoC is the easier it is to be abused. Stallman could not resist the need to virtue signal to the world.

As anyone who has followed the SJW attacks on open source projects and the subsequent uses of weaponized CoCs against innocent developers who committed wrongthink know, a good CoC should be:

* Short and terse
                    * Establish that the project is a meritocracy
                    * Establish that project members are required to take the least offense
                    * Establish the scope of the document is to official project communications only

Rambling on about pronouns, minorities, women, diversity, welcoming, etc. is just a disaster waiting to happen and a green flag for professional victims to attach themselves to the project.

Comment

I might actually disagree with Stallman on this one. A lack of diversity is a real problem. No, not stupid shite like gender or skin color but diversity of thought.

1) Having a group of people with a sole focus on performance gives a fast but extremely insecure product.
                      2) Having a group of people with the sole focus on security gives a secure but featureless product.

No-one cares if you have a penis or not haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X