Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FSF Wants Microsoft To Do More To Help Fight Software Patents

Phoronix: The FSF Wants Microsoft To Do More To Help Fight Software Patents

Following yesterday's rather landmark move of Microsoft joining the Open Invention Network and thus allowing much of its vast patent collection now being allowed to help off patent attacks within the Linux/open-source ecosystem, the Free Software Foundation applauded the move but wants Microsoft to do more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As for 3.: What kind of dope do they smoke at the FSF? I want that, too!

Comment

This is obviously more about the FSF making a statement about all the shady patent-related things Microsoft has been up to over the years while stating their own goals rather than getting Microsoft to get off their arse and do something about the rampant misuse of software patents. Particularly the third demand sounds more like self-aggrandizing than anything else. Not sure what kinds of drugs they were under the influence of when they wrote it, but it I had to hazard a guess it would be that super-strong synthetic marijuana that's been plaguing the U.K and a number of other countries for some time.

Try to remember that at this point Microsoft has been using their patents to run a side business that essentially amounts to a Mafia-style protection racket for decades already. At one point they would literally go to companies who made Android devices, but not Windows Phone ones, and tell them in no uncertain terms that if they were going to sue them for patent infringement if they didn't start making Windows Phone devices. When they bought Nokia's smartphone division the negotiations broke down the first time simply because Nokia refused to sell them all their patents except for the network-related ones at the same time.
      Last edited by L_A_G; 11 October 2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Stupid. MS finally makes a good move, and instead of thanking them for it, they whine and demand for more stupid shit. Alrighty then.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          This is obviously more about the FSF making a statement about all the shady patent-related things Microsoft has been up to over the years while stating their own goals rather than getting Microsoft to get off their arse and do something about the rampant misuse of software patents.

Particularly the third demand sounds more like self-aggrandizing than anything else. Not sure what kinds of drugs they were under the influence of when they wrote it, but it I had to hazard a guess it would be that super-strong synthetic marijuana that's been plaguing the U.K and a number of other countries for some time.
          Its called "hubris" my friend. For reasons you've specified.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            Stupid. MS finally makes a good move, and instead of thanking them for it, they whine and demand for more stupid shit. Alrighty then.
            Yes, but the key part here is that MS finally makes a good move *for themselves*.

If we thanked them for it, we would end up just looking like gullible twats.
            As it stands the FSF just look ungreatful instead to the outside world. But it is important to keep letting people know that Microsoft are not benign.

I say, we should all stay vigilant and see what Microsoft does next. It obviosuly won't be for the betterment of mankind but hopefully it wont hurt us either.

I personally don't like it because it cheapens the idea of the Open Invention Network. It is almost like allowing a well known convicted rapist lead an anti-rape campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Just one good move is not enough , as this could easely end up like story about wooden horse we like to call Trojan horse

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
              As for 3.: What kind of dope do they smoke at the FSF? I want that, too!
              You don't need to smoke anything, knowing laws and history is enough. It won't hurt also if you know nature of wild animals and basics of their strategy

Last edited by dungeon; 11 October 2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                It is almost like allowing a well known convicted rapist lead an anti-rape campaign.
                That is exactly the same as biggest harassers who are pushing harassment-free CoCs OK things happening, since this does not come from the people but from corporations i don't see how it will be better for the people...

I mean, if Microsoft wanna be good they would open up their WIndows and not just to inject trojan horses - to play half steps elsewhere
                Last edited by dungeon; 11 October 2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I appreciate this move. On the one hand it looks bold and over the top just when we've got something good, but the point is there's a lot of speculation about Microsoft's intentions. This will reveal Microsoft's position somewhat, either through silence or an answer. It's a good move. I'd love to see Microsoft say it's not hiding the other hand (or shoe), but I'm not holding my breath yet...

Comment

When reading points 1 and 2 I was surprised how sane their requests were.
                    Then I read point 3. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X