Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Quote me where I said I broke my OS.

No I blame package management FOR EXISTING because if it did not exist then people would be FORCED to come up with a compatible and stable set of library interfaces that 3rd party developers must compile against. Otherwise, all we would have would be source-only distros like Gentoo.

There's nothing to maintain if there's no package management. You can't be that dense...?

The so-called "maintainer" of an app must ONLY be the developer himself and he must maintain ONE COMPILED VERSION on HIS WEBSITE. ONE compiled version, not one for each distro, but ONE version that works on ALL Linux PCs (with a given minimum version obviously, system requirements). Just like Mac or Windows or virtually any other desktop OS in existence.

And btw, this is also opinion of Linus Torvalds, so if you think I'm a retard for wanting this, then stop using his kernel and stop using Linux because you're a fucking free-loader whose opinion is virtually worthless.

Billions use their computers to download what they please and run what they want with Windows and have it "just work", including many Linux users like me with Wine -- so you are less than 0.1%

But yeah you are such an important drop in the bucket. Special snowflake.
    You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. MS made several walled gardens like win32, .net, visual studios, internet explorer, etc, in order to accomplish wtf you are asking for on linux. retard.
    Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

https://www.winehq.org/

No piece of shit walled garden centralized repositories needed.

You keep using that term. I don't think it means what you think it means.
      Nope, just re-implementations of them....

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        You have now idea what the fuck you're talking about. MS made several walled gardens like win32, .net, visual studios, internet explorer, etc, in order to accomplish what wtf you are asking for on linux. retard.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_platform

Originally posted by Wikipedia
        A closed platform, walled garden, or closed ecosystem[1][2] is a software system where the carrier or service provider has control over applications, content, and media, and restricts convenient access to non-approved applications or content. This is in contrast to an open platform, where consumers generally have unrestricted access to applications and content.
        Win32 has no control over applications.
        Win32 has no control over content.
        Win32 doesn't restrict you access to "non-approved applications or content" because there's nothing to approve.
        Win32 works in Wine.

in contrast...

Centralized Package Management restricts you access to "non-approved applications" which you must compile yourself from source or use PPAs, a pain in the ass.

Idiot.

Comment

Nope, just re-implementations of them....
          Who the fuck cares?

You said there's Windows for me. But no, there's Wine for me. I don't have to rely on piece of shit centralized repositories for my portable applications. Wine is such a much better experience on Linux than native Linux apps. You got a problem with that fact?

tl;dr Windows (Win32) is a great platform, much better than Linux userland (kernel is good too). But Windows is a pathetic OS especially Windows 10. So Linux as an OS with Win32 as platform (Wine) is the best of both worlds. I don't have to suffer braindamage and be "locked in" to the whims of centralized maintainers.
          Last edited by Weasel; 07 October 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_platform

Win32 has no control over applications.
            Win32 has no control over content.
            Win32 doesn't restrict you access to "non-approved applications or content" because there's nothing to approve.
            Win32 works in Wine.

in contrast...

Centralized Package Management restricts you access to "non-approved applications" which you must compile yourself from source or use PPAs, a pain in the ass.

Idiot.
            Your shaded lenses are showing....

Comment

Who the fuck cares?

You said there's Windows for me. But no, there's Wine for me. I don't have to rely on piece of shit centralized repositories for my portable applications. Wine is such a much better experience on Linux than native Linux apps. You got a problem with that fact?

tl;dr Windows (Win32) is a great platform, much better than Linux userland (kernel is good too). But Windows is a pathetic OS especially Windows 10. So Linux as an OS with Win32 as platform (Wine) is the best of both worlds. I don't have to suffer braindamage and be "locked in" to the whims of centralized maintainers.
              And in the meantime you boot up to a linux distribution that simply wouldn't exist at all if not for package management. That's why I care, it's why you should care too, it's why we all should care. The problem is not package management, instead it's more fundamental, it's binary format. Whether elf can be extended or if it needs replaced is something way beyond me. In the mean time package management is the solution and has been from the beginning.

Comment

Your shaded lenses are showing....
                No I just have fun embarassing people like you on a public forum with facts.

Let's ask a question anyone can understand.

So let's say you want to download an application on Windows or Wine straight from the developer of that app himself, so you don't rely on any 3rd party or anyone else (obviously you have to rely on the developer of the app himself, that's just logic).

You go to his website, click Download, and run it... and it runs!

At which point is Microsoft's approval necessary...? He doesn't need their permission to distribute or compile his app at all. So where's the Walled Garden?

With package management... you know... the dev requires some maintainer to pick it up and compile for a distro... so you depend on at least 2 people now: the dev of the app who writes the source code, and the maintainer of the package who will compile it for your distro.

Comment

And in the meantime you boot up to a linux distribution that simply wouldn't exist at all if not for package management.
                  Bullshit. It would exist, it would be a great OS, and a great platform to target against, and it would probably have 50% market share by now, if not more. Of course assuming at least 10-15 years ago, so it had time to improve.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  The problem is not package management, instead it's more fundamental, it's binary format. Whether elf can be extended or if it needs replaced is something way beyond me. In the mean time package management is the solution and has been from the beginning.
                  No, the problem are both. The binary format is undoubtely the largest problem.

But package management is a problem because it gives some people (or ignorant devs) the impression that "stuff works like this" on Linux, but it doesn't, because market share on desktop is laughable and will always remain laughable.

Removing package management gives them more incentive to fix their stupid binary formats.

Comment

Bullshit. It would exist, it would be a great OS, and a great platform to target against, and it would probably have 50% market share by now, if not more. Of course assuming at least 10-15 years ago, so it had time to improve.

No, the problem are both. The binary format is undoubtely the largest problem.

But package management is a problem because it gives some people (or ignorant devs) the impression that "stuff works like this" on Linux, but it doesn't, because market share on desktop is laughable and will always remain laughable.

Removing package management gives them more incentive to fix their stupid binary formats.
                    If a perfect binary format was derived tomorrow and everybody adopted it immediately, I absolutely guarantee package management would still be just as relevant as ever. As a developer that refuses to work with a package manager, you are either going to have to distribute your app with it's entire dependency chain or it won't work. It's still the same exact problem as today. MS solved these types problems by designing massive walled gardens and tightly constrained development to within them. That's why windows applications work on windows. walled gardens like MS's are in fact the biggest problem today and package management will always be the correct solution to that even with a perfect binary format.

Comment

If a perfect binary format was derived tomorrow and everybody adopted it immediately, I absolutely guarantee package management would still be just as relevant as ever. As a developer that refuses to work with a package manager, you are either going to have to distribute your app with it's entire dependency chain or it won't work. It's still the same exact problem as today.
                      Why? The distro itself would be a platform to target against, and you know which dependencies are available and which aren't (just like Win32) on a given version, and any extra libraries would simply be bundled with the software, which is exactly how apps on Windows are distributed. And it's also how flatpak works, which is actually a band-aid for this problem to begin with.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      MS solved these types problems by designing massive walled gardens and tightly constrained development to within them. That's why windows applications work on windows. walled gardens like MS's are in fact the biggest problem today and package management will always be the correct solution to that even with a perfect binary format.
                      I see you choose to remain ignorant. Keep embarrassing yourself using that term though.

That makes flatpak runtimes and flatpak itself a walled garden too, since they're the exact same way as Win32. It's so funny it's unreal.

You're right that it wouldn't be changed in 1 day though. But if binary format was changed today, I expect 50% market share of Linux within 10 years or so (on the desktop!).

Comment

Working...
                      X