Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Except it doesn't.

I don't know why I always have to repeat the same things. Have you guys *ever* considered that maybe you are simply *wrong*, given the fact that so many people complain about it on Linux, including Torvalds himself?

Ever stopped to think something like "gee, maybe I got it all wrong to think Windows is as broken with dependencies as Linux, since so many people complain about Linux. Maybe it's not *them* who are delusional, maybe *I am missing something* that I hadn't thought of yet!"

Please do that, anyone who reads it. It's good thing to learn in life. Valuable skill. Then proceed to read below and get enlightened.
    Am I thinking like that? Well, that's news for me.

And the reasons you need to repeat the same things probably are the limitations of the discussion forum concept and the fact that you are not any kind of celebirity (you cannot reasonably except every newcomer to already know what viewpoints you do exactly hold).
    Last edited by ilmaisin; 06 October 2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You do realize that what you're complaining about is the whole entire point for package management right? And the truth is as long as you actually use package management exclusively none of what you just complained about is even a problem.., It is exactly what package management solved decades ago.
      The current package management model doesn't work the way I proposed. If I install Mixxx, and then update protobuf, Mixxx breaks and I can't use it anymore because it's all stitched together.

(in Windows if I upgrade from Windows 8 to 10, Mixxx does not break)

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        it's also why it is 500 fucking megabytes for an app, instead of like 10MB in Windows.
        Sorry? It's not "500 f**king megabytes" per app, it's 500 megabytes for the FreeDesktop runtime only, and then a very few per app.

Comment

Linus' talk was in 2014, 4 years is a decade now? And no, NOTHING changed, except for flatpak and snap being added as alternatives. The core packaging is still the same broken mess. ELF is still the same garbage format.

Except it doesn't, and don't take my word for it, go listen to Linus. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Just because your computer needs are trivially solved as a "mobile experience" by pushing a few buttons and automatically installing apps from some retarded centralized repository doesn't mean there are no problems. It only means your needs are too simple and out of the scope of anyone who complains. They don't give a shit about it. They complain of stuff you never use so why even talk?

For example, like idk, distributing your own app for Linux without a centralized repository. Alien concept to you, I bet.
          So what what you're really complaining about is that you want a walled garden and linux doesn't give that to you.... Oh fucking well.... If you want your app to be available for certain package managers then -you- need to maintain packages for them. You are the developer, you know built it, you compiled it, you wrote it, you know what dependencies it needs. And why the fuck you think an end user should have to figure out what it is that you already know is beyond me.

Comment

You don't realize their entire complaint is about the retarded package management, right? Most devs don't want it. That's why they code for Windows only.

I don't even know what your point is honestly. It's like saying "Problems with Linux is that X, Y, Z" and you go and reply "you do realize entire point of Linux package management is X?"

Well no shit it means package management concept needs to fucking die in a fire.
            So you're a retard, ok we get that. You break your OS by working outside package management and then you blame package management that -you- broke it.... Fine, I'm damn glad I don't need to use shit that you maintain. Thank god... In the meantime, me and millions of other people have working systems and have for decades but you don't....

EDIT: I won't try to front about elf, we all know it's shortcomings are. But the fact is it is package management that has made desktop linux possible. Without it there wouldn't -be- "distributions" and linux would've died in the mid 90's. Period. No Redhat, no Debian, No Gentoo, No Arch.... No Nothing....
            Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The current package management model doesn't work the way I proposed. If I install Mixxx, and then update protobuf, Mixxx breaks and I can't use it anymore because it's all stitched together.

(in Windows if I upgrade from Windows 8 to 10, Mixxx does not break)
              I guess that's something I don't experrience because I'm a gentoo user and that's exactly the type of problem emerge @preserved-rebuild solves.

Comment

So what what you're really complaining about is that you want a walled garden and linux doesn't give that to you....
                Clearly downloading an app from anywhere you please and having it just work is a "walled garden". Yes you might get malware, but getting malware is part of freedom, the freedom to fuck up and run whatever the fuck you want.

But instead a piece of shit centralized repository which limits your choice so you have to compile missing stuff yourself or add PPAs is "much more free" in your mind and totally opposite to "walled garden".

What a fucking retard.

Comment

You break your OS
                  Quote me where I said I broke my OS.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  by working outside package management and then you blame package management that -you- broke it....
                  No I blame package management FOR EXISTING because if it did not exist then people would be FORCED to come up with a compatible and stable set of library interfaces that 3rd party developers must compile against. Otherwise, all we would have would be source-only distros like Gentoo.

Fine, I'm damn glad I don't need to use shit that you maintain. Thank god... In the meantime, me and millions of other people have working systems and have for decades but you don't....
                  There's nothing to maintain if there's no package management. You can't be that dense...?

The so-called "maintainer" of an app must ONLY be the developer himself and he must maintain ONE COMPILED VERSION on HIS WEBSITE. ONE compiled version, not one for each distro, but ONE version that works on ALL Linux PCs (with a given minimum version obviously, system requirements). Just like Mac or Windows or virtually any other desktop OS in existence.

And btw, this is also opinion of Linus Torvalds, so if you think I'm a retard for wanting this, then stop using his kernel and stop using Linux because you're a fucking free-loader whose opinion is virtually worthless.

Billions use their computers to download what they please and run what they want with Windows and have it "just work", including many Linux users like me with Wine -- so you are less than 0.1%

But yeah you are such an important drop in the bucket. Special snowflake.
                  Last edited by Weasel; 07 October 2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Clearly downloading an app from anywhere you please and having it just work is a "walled garden". Yes you might get malware, but getting malware is part of freedom, the freedom to fuck up and run whatever the fuck you want.

But instead a piece of shit centralized repository which limits your choice so you have to compile missing stuff yourself or add PPAs is "much more free" in your mind and totally opposite to "walled garden".

What a fucking retard.
                    If that's what you want then there is a product called Windows made just for you. It has the walled gardens and malware you like in plenty. dumbass.
                    Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

If that's what you want then there is a product called Windows made just for you.
                      https://www.winehq.org/

No piece of shit walled garden centralized repositories needed.

It has the walled garden and malware you like in plenty. dumbass.
                      You keep using that term. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Working...
                      X