Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Still boasting your utter scumbag behavior (citing private correspondence and shit)?
    you are confusing private correspondence with private attacks
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Luckily I don't give a fuck about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhllZWfnXKQ

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      lol. google "dll hell"
      lol, I did: DLL Hell is the Windows ecosystem-specific form of the general concept dependency hell.

Dependency hell is a colloquial term for the frustration of some software users who have installed software packages which have dependencies on specific versions of other software packages.[1]

Sounds like Linux userland, not Windows.

DLL hell is a term used by morons only, who don't understand it is only a 16-bit Windows thing, where all processes shared the address space. I don't think anyone here was talking about 16-bit Windows.

Comment

Here, at Phoronix most people believe that Linux is perfect
        perfect can't be improved. if something continues development, it isn't perfect

Comment

You see, proprietary OSes feature this thing called stable APIs. Once APIs are created, they are supported and things work for ages.
          you see, proprietary oses feature things which are needed for their vendor atm. when api is not needed it becomes unsupported. off the top of my head xna and several noncompatible versions of winphone before eventual dumping with all software developed by thousands of third parties
          btw, linux also features this thing called stable apis. you just don't know where to look

Comment

it's me who's shitposting. Right.
            now you get it

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              lol, I did: DLL Hell is the Windows ecosystem-specific form of the general concept dependency hell.
              that was third line. first line is:
              In computing, DLL Hell is a term for the complications that arise when working with dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) used with Microsoft Windows operating systems,[1] particularly legacy 16-bit editions, which all run in a single memory space.
              Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Sounds like Linux userland, not Windows.
              how windows ecosystem-specific thing can be linux, not windows? it is windows-specific and it has special term, therefore it happened on windows a lot. while my opponent tried to lie that it never happened
              DLL hell is a term used by morons only, who don't understand it is only a 16-bit Windows thing, where all processes shared the address space.
              moron is someone who confuses "particularly" with "only"
              I don't think anyone here was talking about 16-bit Windows.
              he talked about downloading dll from internet and replacing system version with it. it will get you exactly that

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Of course you are correct that Rust can't grow food or terraform planets, but it definitely does solve many of the fundamental design flaws in C/C++.
                there are no fundamental design flaws in c++, so rust can't solve them. actually, what you think as solution, can be thought as design flaw.
                rust can't even improve c++ because it was not designed with same goals in mind

Comment

• Originally posted by swizzler View Post
                  The problem is that media drivers are not written by open source teams. 3D drivers are fully open source, and have high quality. Closed source media drivers interact with the GPU, but in common cases cause the GPU to hang.
                  amd media drivers are in mesa. some work is done by closed source firmware, but same is true for 3d drivers

Comment

• Originally posted by swizzler View Post

The problem is that media drivers are not written by open source teams. 3D drivers are fully open source, and have high quality. Closed source media drivers interact with the GPU, but in common cases cause the GPU to hang. This is unacceptable for Google, which wants a good user experience.

The cost to decode media on the CPU is higher, but at least it doesn't hang your whole machine. Google has no recourse, because the closed media driver teams have no idea of linux and can't repro or figure out how to approach the problem.
                    That totally isn't true, take a look at the VAAPI state tracker for example: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...te_trackers/va

Comment

That was not the only and not even the most serious issue with VDPAU, but it's me who's shitposting. Right.
                      Then tell me what Flash/VDPAU issue would stop Chromium developers from enabling VA-API support in their builds. You have provided nothing of substance so far, only ramblings. So yes, you are shitposting without exception here.
                      Last edited by chithanh; 05 October 2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X