Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Phoronix: Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

It's 2018 and while Linux GPU drivers have improved a lot in recent years, Google engineers still don't find them reliable enough to ship the Chrome web-browser with GPU video decoding enabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then I'll definitely go with AMD with VA-API support. Sorry, but I could care less about NVDEC decoder. I'm using Firefox, by the way.

Comment

OK so in a community where I expect people to be capable to think rationally, my personal advice to Google is to invest more resources in these drivers when they don't consider them to be reliable for video acceleration.
      I think there is no doubt that the hardware of AMD and Intel is capable to suit Google's necessities and these hardware companies are investing their resources according to their interests already to provide working software interfaces.

When Google has a special interest in the flawless execution of their software on this hardware it seems that they simply haven't invested enough effort to play their part in the environment their software is based upon.
      The benefit of open source software is that you can simply improve it when your business requires it and share these improvements with whole mankind. You don't depend on anyone and in return, you can use the improvements of others for your own business.
      It's a win-win constellation Google is well aware of so the solution seems to be very obvious.

Edit: Nvidia users are used to being completely dependent on Nvidias goodwill anyway, so I don't think that any decision should even include considerations about this hardware. It's completely upon Nvidia how it works and none of our businesses.
      Last edited by oooverclocker; 03 October 2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

That's funny. I still don't trust Google enough to use their services.

Comment

2018, and GPU drivers in linux is still a fucking horror story, nobody seems to care, this is one of the reasons i refuse to use linux as a daily driver

Comment

To be fair, that's the same thing Firefox devs also said.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              2018, and GPU drivers in linux is still a fucking horror story, nobody seems to care, this is one of the reasons i refuse to use linux as a daily driver
              This is not GPU but media decoding drivers. GPU drivers are pretty good for daily use now.

Yes I remember when they were a shitshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                Except in actuality they work just fine, unless you have an Nvidia card on system without an easy installation path for their cards, which is NVIDIA's fault.

Comment

Well then, spend a few of those hundred-billions and rewrite the relevant parts of the graphics driver stack in Rust, with an easily-extensible and test-driven design.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
                    That's funny. I still don't trust Google enough to use their services.
                    With that mindset linux will still be shit, the problem is elsewhere

One new distro per day, and yet nothing is usable

On other hand Chrome OS is smooth as fuck, maybe the problem is these distro makers "hey i wanna create my own OS because i'm haxor, go download it, it's called Ultimate Linux OS"

Comment

Working...
                    X