Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Windows Server 2019 Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garegin View Post
    so what. Neither RHEL nor Debian are that reliable either. What happened to Eric Raymond's "Release Early, Release Often"?
    Spoken like a newbie who's never touched RHEL before. Clearly you don't understand RHEL's model. There's a reason the latest RHEL kernel is only 3.10, glibc 2.17, etc.

As far as Linux distros go, RHEL is probably the most rock solid reliable distro on the planet. We have over 100 RHEL machines at work, and have never once experienced a crash or failed bootup. We cannot say the same for Windows, where our few Windows VM's are often having OS problems.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 03 October 2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
      Why would they waste money on something they want to kill off? Their CEO is a Linux fan, and the focus is on Azure and making everything else run on everybody else's operating systems.

Windows is in maintenance mode, they just don't want to panic investors.
      As much as I would love for this to be true, I'll reserve judgement for the day MS Office is available for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
        I am surprised to find news about Windows Updates here. Who cares about them? I certainly don't.
        The power of money, M$ bought GitHub and now is an open source company, is like when in the medieval the rich merchants bought the noble titles...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          The power of money, M$ bought GitHub and now is an open source company, is like when in the medieval the rich merchants bought the noble titles...
          Please explain how buying a closed-source git hosting service makes MS a open source company.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Please explain how buying a closed-source git hosting service makes MS a open source company.
            No way man... You had better to direct this question to Microsoft itself, I am still wondering the same thing like you.

Comment

This is bullshit, on crappy screens the black themes cause less eyestrain. Besides it's just a theme, you can not switch to it if you don't like it.
              I always wonder how do you guys find black themes "less eyestrain" when they literally make me have after-images of text printed on my vision for a while. (i.e. they're very bad/straining, contrast is just too high)

Comment

Imho if white is straining your eyes you have a shitty screen and/or your screen brightness is too high (common to compensate a shitty screen), I've already seen weird things like screens where the brightness is at max and then the user throws a black theme on everything.

If the screen isn't total crap, white themes and low brightness is best. Similar to a piece of paper.

Is your screen IPS? If not consider an upgrade.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you on black themes.
                Or just use a grey theme.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  50 years ago Windows XP service pack: Security Center, Firewall, new APIs, new WMP, etc.

Today Windows 10 service pack: Dark theme and emojis.

M$ doing the hard work here.
                  Ignoring the fact that this was a 6-month update and not a 2 year cycle, Microsoft has put a _lot_ of neat functionality into Windows these days, including the Windows Subsytem for Linux, you know, so you can run fully-fledged Linux applications without weird emulation hacks. They had to make the Windows command prompt actually work to support this, so it's not all eye candy and dark themes but genuinely useful productivity stuff. You'll even be able to open a bash prompt from the Windows explorer context menu. This update also makes notepad recognise Linux line endings.

I don't really know what people want from Microsoft these days, Ballmer is long gone and Microsoft is at least making an effort to make Windows interoperate with Linux.

Comment

Imho if white is straining your eyes you have a shitty screen and/or your screen brightness is too high (common to compensate a shitty screen), I've already seen weird things like screens where the brightness is at max and then the user throws a black theme on everything.

If the screen isn't total crap, white themes and low brightness is best. Similar to a piece of paper.

Is your screen IPS? If not consider an upgrade.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you on black themes.
                    ^ This. Displays set to max brightness is quite common, and oblivious users think changing the colors is the solution. They may as well suggest wearing sunglasses to view a max-brightness display, it's the same silly thing.

FWIW my display is set to just 25% brightness and that's perfect for both day and night viewing. Dell Professional IPS 24" 1920x1200.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 03 October 2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      Or just use a grey theme.
                      If the screen is crap grey won't cut it, you need black.

Comment

Working...
                      X