Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAV1D: A New AV1 Video Decoder From The VideoLAN Developers

Phoronix: DAV1D: A New AV1 Video Decoder From The VideoLAN Developers

The VideoLAN/VLC developers in conjunction with the FFmpeg crew while being sponsored by the Alliance of Open Media have announced a new AV1 video decoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing I've been curious about is SVC (Scalable Video) support in ffmpeg and AV1. Do both of these projects support codecs of this kind? Is there a standard for serialization?
    Last edited by M@yeulC; 01 October 2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

That's good, but what we need urgently is an ENCODER.

Comment

i like the name

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Hardware accelerated decoding for processors would also be nice, otherwise its mostly just a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Hardware accelerated decoding for processors would also be nice, otherwise its mostly just a toy.
            Not necessarily. Out of curiosity I tried to encode a video with a custom-built version of ffmpeg. VLC 4.0.0~dev (at least the build in snap's edge channel) plays it very well, on a laptop that's far from being a powerhouse (Core i7-6600U with Intel gfx). In fact I didn't observe any difference in replay smoothness compared with HEVC. The efficiency of this codec seems very impressive, in my officially non-scientific and non-comprehensive tests, you can encode at 1/3rd of the bitrate used by AVC with no discernable loss of quality. The problem is that the encoder is currently so slow that it's unusable. Of course it will always have higher CPU requirements than AVC or even HEVC during encoding, that's expected, but at the moment it runs at about about 0.1-0.2 fps (or between 5 to 10 SECONDS PER FRAME) on this machine.

Comment

As a grizzly old C coder it's a joy to browse through the codebase. Very straightforward, everything is there for a reason, and there's no cruft. Even the multithreading is custom-built for exactly the purpose of the decoder.

Comment

It baffles me why people write new security-critical software in C in 2018. Especially something as notoriously prone to memory errors as video decoder. Rust should have been a no-brainer.

Comment

I'm assuming you meant to say, C11, with the emphasis on correctly multi-threaded, seeing as that's one of the main features of C11, along with atomic primitives and types, bounds checking, floating point arithmetic and complex mathematics lib, never mind standard analyzability?

I'm waiting for the RUST crowd to crap the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    we don't, youtube encodes videos without our help

Comment

Working...
                    X