Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Developers Weighed The Idea Of Not Allowing Q&A Sessions At Their Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    That's a good decision. I hate all seminars where the speaker cannot speak half-decent English and makes following a session a pain. Why should the listeners deal with such adversities, but the speaker should be spared from Q&A? Makes no sense. The more difficult it is to follow a session (for whatever reason) the more questions there will be and these better get answered than ignored.
    Why do you visit those seminars at all? If you aren't interested in talks or Q/A, you're better with just reading manuals, papers or blog-posts.

Comment

He, he, sounds to me how PyCascades 2018 was just 2-day conference, so they need to cut-off Q/A. Now 2019 is planned to be 3 days, you see where was a problem there, they had too much for just 2 days

Unlike DebConf 2018 which was 8 days. So, unless they plan DebConfs to be much less days or if there happens to be timing shortages this might make sense, otherwise no.

Also DebConf is preceeded by Debcamp and OpenDay... that is 2 weeks and plenty of time for everything
      Last edited by dungeon; 01 October 2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Why do you visit those seminars at all? If you aren't interested in talks or Q/A, you're better with just reading manuals, papers or blog-posts.
        Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I cannot tell.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

My experience indicates the opposite. When speakers are hard to understand usually there are very few questions because most attendees don't even know where to begin..
          In some cases it's true, yes, but those are the worst ones. Q&A provides feedback and not allowing feedback is just generally a bad idea. It explains itself really.

Comment

And people are complaining about projects adopting a CoC, but meanwhile, the holy Debian didn't even want simple Q&A's at their conference...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              That's a good decision.
              What decision? This is like random discussion in a parliament on a random question

Just to underline, I'm not suggesting DebConf changes anything, just sharing an somewhat-random and hopefully thought-provoking idea I came across.
              Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              And people are complaining about projects adopting a CoC, but meanwhile, the holy Debian didn't even want simple Q&A's at their conference...
              Maybe Q/As should be banned really, if people so easely tend to jump into conclusions about nothing really Question is just a question, that is not decision
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 October 2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

A conference without Q&A is like Linux without Kernel...
                What's the point of going to a conference without Q&A? I can listen to talks from my home, thank you very much...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

What decision? This is like random discussion in a parliament on a random question
                  To be honest for me the biggest thing in scene is Senātus Populusque Phoronix.

Everything else is just food for S.P.Q.P.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    Primary/Replica is more descriptive than master/slave. In the end, functionality is all we care about.
                    Rofl no it is not. Ask the average person to describe what the relationship is between primary/replica. Then ask them what the relationship between a master and slave is. If placating snowflakes is important to you, that's fine, but normal people aren't going to buy into your delusions. (we like to keep our brains functional instead of clogging them up with bullshit like this)

Comment

Holy shit, Linux, do I need to switch to BSD to get away from this nonsense?

Comment

Working...
                      X