Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Developers Weighed The Idea Of Not Allowing Q&A Sessions At Their Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

(I'm kidding. Please don't do this)
    ROFL, laughed so hard. This nailed many things.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      "Debian should default to my preferences"
      Speaking of people that need to get a grip on reality and work on staying on topic...

Comment

Just take a look where this come from: https://twitter.com/mariatta/status/1038110484673622016
        PyCascades is a new regional PyCon in the Pacific Northwest, celebrating the West Coast Python developer and user community.
        It's not about technical discussions, it's about celebrating the community. As long as this only happens on parties where people are celebrating themselves, I'm not really concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          Linus already commented that he wants nothing to do with you guys on the CoC change, so keep harping on about that.
          Tie weights to his legs and toss him in the ocean. If he floats, he's a Nazi. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            very good point .... but why do people in power wo believe in republic and bill of rights grand you freedom of speech ?
            Do they really? Isn't the media manipulated and controlled, while agencies are "monitoring" your stuff?

Comment

I was absolutely delighted to have questions after my first presentations. In fact, I think not getting questions is a defeat, as in my audience wasn't interested enough.

There is nothing wrong with answering "I don't know" to audience questions, too.

This is so weird.

Comment

A Q&A session it's just a simple friendly discussion, wich just happening to occur in public.
                Not something serrious, something important like a job interview.

Comment

That's a good decision. I hate all seminars where the speaker cannot speak half-decent English and makes following a session a pain. Why should the listeners deal with such adversities, but the speaker should be spared from Q&A? Makes no sense. The more difficult it is to follow a session (for whatever reason) the more questions there will be and these better get answered than ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    That's a good decision. I hate all seminars where the speaker cannot speak half-decent English and makes following a session a pain. Why should the listeners deal with such adversities, but the speaker should be spared from Q&A? Makes no sense. The more difficult it is to follow a session (for whatever reason) the more questions there will be and these better get answered than ignored.
                    My experience indicates the opposite. When speakers are hard to understand usually there are very few questions because most attendees don't even know where to begin..

Comment

This is pure echochamber insanity. If your ideas aren't solid enough to stand a Q&A then maybe you shouldn't be presenting them in the first place. Last time I checked these were voluntary events so it's completely up to you to decide if you have the confidence to hold a presentation.

It's not like I haven't preferred not to do Q&A after college presentations myself, but the only solution is to think through your material and deal with it if you want the extra credits. Most of the questions are genuinely contributing to the presentation anyway. See it as an extra chance to say the stuff you missed in the presentation.

Comment

Working...
                      X