Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

With or without [other] women consent?
    Multiculturalism do not mean rejecting and not accepting laws and culture of "adopted" country by refuses to integrate.
    Yet it has nothing to do with kernel development, which is the main point here. Regardless of what other people think, that should not be ground for verbal/other abuse, or rejection. Especially not on the mailing list, where it would be completely irrelated to the work being done.

Maybe we should all go with sha-1 of our names instead (or a similar scheme), to avoid triggering people while still retaining proof of the accomplished work?

Comment

I guess things could have ended way worse... At least the new CoC contains some guards against the worst issues caused by these things by limiting the scope and putting in language that enshrines constructive criticism as the something essential to the project and something you have to accept rather than deflect by claiming it's somehow abuse.

However it still has more room for people deflecting from legitimate criticism that it should have and still contains some vagueness that can be used to stifle opinions not considered acceptable by a certain orthodoxy regardless of they're presented. Particularly Linus' blunt, but very effective style of criticism seems to be targeted by the new CoC and I'm not convinced this will help at all considering the way Linux kernel development works and how as a result the recipients of Linus' constructive, but blunt, criticism are the ones best equipped to deal with it. They probably should copy Ruby's point about not never just assuming critical comments are personal attacks and include language that protects unpopular opinions at least when they're presented in a respectful way. Hell, I'd say the CoCs job should be to protect respectful disagreements, specially when they're relating contemptuous issues or topics.

I suspect this wouldn't have blown up the way it did had it not been for the way it appeared as if it was a complete capitulation to the types that have been going after Linus for the better part of a decade. As I've explained, it thankfully wasn't as the new CoC could to some extent be described as a common sense version of the infamously bad contributor covenant. Linus' rants did occasionally fall on the side of unacceptable in the early 2000s, but he did clean it up about a decade ago and did admit those early rants were not acceptable around a decade ago. Since then his "rants" have really just been harsh criticism exaggerated by the media and activists based on the reputation he earned for himself in the early 2000s with those genuinely unprofessional rants.

However seeing how he didn't admit complete defeat when he cleaned it up around a decade ago, the tabloid-style media and the people who don't like harsh criticism either have obviously kept pressuring him to do so since the. When you get hounded by the media hungry for the next "controversy" and special interest groups who want to muzzle you for the better part of a decade straight, it's no wonder you break like Linus just did. Particularly when they get a close family member to join in the pressuring of him like they did with his daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        May be they fixed amdgpu DisplayPort / tty bug. But I get an impression amdgpu gets bug fixes very slowly lately. It's more like "wait until next kernel version, may be you'll get lucky". Serious usability breaking bugs persist for a long time.
        What "amdgpu DisplayPort / tty bug", any bug report to refer to or other problem?

I have the RX 570 and yesterday on kernel 4.19rc4 (pulled like a few commits before rc5 so it should be the same) the kernel actually CRASHED when I turned my DP connected monitors on (after having left them off for a while). Bug report https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108037 and backtrace https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=141707. I haven't had that happen before, so I am guessing it's new to 4.19rc.. 4? 3? not sure which.

You're right about AMD being very slow. It's been hours already and just one AMD developer has responded to this TOTAL SCANDAL and it's not fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Yet it has nothing to do with kernel development, which is the main point here. Regardless of what other people think, that should not be ground for verbal/other abuse, or rejection. Especially not on the mailing list, where it would be completely irrelated to the work being done.
          Exactly.

Maybe we should all go with sha-1 of our names instead (or a similar scheme), to avoid triggering people while still retaining proof of the accomplished work?
          But let's not forget to filter out the offensive words that can randomly happen. And for *all* possible languages and cultures.
          I do wonder how master/slave can be banned, because for some cultures (bdsm mostly), master/slave is part of life. And saying that master/slave is offensive, is in itself offensive too...

The best thing is to keep personal life out of joined software projects. And even that can be hard, according to the lulz site: https://www.garfieldtech.com/blog/tmi-outing .

Comment

Also reciprocally, on exactly same criteria, completely irrelevant:
            • lack of diversity
            • feminism
            • gender identity
            • abolityon of patriarchy
            • skin color, even if it happens that ALL contributors are 100% CIS heterosexual white males
            • sexual orientation
            • political voting option
            • quotas of any kind
            Or whatever the heck he/she doing or said in his/here private or public life.

The CODE is all that matters. And Quality as the only accepted standard, as before, in the past.

Comment

keeping the seat warm for a few weeks
              OMG, so it's even worse than I thought it would be. Someone is really pressuring Linus hard.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                I don't assume the quality of the content based on the site domain name
                Congratulations. You must be more willing to waste time than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

Also reciprocally, on exactly same criteria, completely irrelevant:
                  • lack of diversity
                  • feminism
                  • gender identity
                  • abolityon of patriarchy
                  • skin color, even if it happens that ALL contributors are 100% CIS heterosexual white males
                  • sexual orientation
                  • political voting option
                  • quotas of any kind
                  Or whatever the heck he/she doing or said in his/here private or public life.

The CODE is all that matters. And Quality as the only accepted standard, as before, in the past.
                  And I perfectly agree, "positive discrimination" is a problem as well. I'm not sure the CoC states otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    You mean I shouldn't take a site called lulz.com seriously?
                    Learn to think for yourself. Learn to judge text on it's own merit. It is not that hard to learn. It doesn't matter who or what site publishes something if it's got logical and valid arguments. Develop your critical thinking skills and start looking at sites content, not the url.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                      That's because the CoC is not about inclusion, but to elevate the promoters of it and to get a social weapon against people deviating from the promoters' way of thinking. Just look at what happened to Ted Ts'o: fragments a statement he made a few years back were taken out of context, dropped on twitter for the mob, then the promoters of the Linux CoC immediately tried to eject him from the project. This CoC is not about including anyone, it's a political weapon for a few loudmouths to get into positions of power over others.
                      The immediate attacks on Teo does raise some interesting questions. Think about it, the Linux kernel adopts a CoC and there's immediately demands based on something from 2011. Could it be that someone has been digging into people's pasts for quite some time and had lot of silly little things ready prior to the CoC being adopted?

I suspect there will be a lot more attacks on developers and demands that they step down in the near future and I'm guessing it will be against those who have resisted backdoors and poor security practices and code the big corporations want to get in but can't because it's got moral/security/other valid reasons for rejection.

Comment

Working...
                      X