Greg Kroah-Hartman Releases Linux 4.19-RC5 Following An "Interesting" Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Kroah-Hartman Releases Linux 4.19-RC5 Following An "Interesting" Week

Phoronix: Greg Kroah-Hartman Releases Linux 4.19-RC5 Following An "Interesting" Week

It's now been one week since Linus Torvalds announced he's taking a break to work on his empathy skills, etc. Greg Kroah-Hartman is handling the Linux release duties in Torvalds' absence and today marked the release of Linux 4.19-rc5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UPDATE: ESR: "threat has teeth." Most of the internet could be affected as some Linux devs threaten to rescind code in response to CoC controversy.

Linux developers threaten to pull “kill switch”Most of the internet could be affected as some Linux devs threaten to rescind code in response to CoC controversy.

Comment

Comment

That's just a single mail stating what can be done in theory.

And of course the SJW attacking people all over the place.

Clickbait bullshit.

Comment

May be they fixed amdgpu DisplayPort / tty bug. But I get an impression amdgpu gets bug fixes very slowly lately. It's more like "wait until next kernel version, may be you'll get lucky". Serious usability breaking bugs persist for a long time.

Comment

It does worry me a little. I've always believed that criticism needs to be blunt. If someone is constantly trying to interpret blunt as offensive, then we're going to end up a bad spot I think. If someone gets banned as a result, there might be consequences.

On the other hand, so far, the CoC implementation hasn't exactly done anything. Most projects that inherit already had some anti-discriminatory and anti-hate efforts that were enforced, apparently unbeknownst to most SJW who think the CoC they have is a god-send. If someone is being obviously racist or offensive towards someone (which, how the hell would someone know the race or personality of another anonymous figure on the internet in the first place), action was going to be taken, CoC or no CoC. The same exact idea is in place, the people enforcing the idea is still the same. Ultimately, nothing will likely change. If someone does get banned as a result, it's probably because they deserved it. Unfortunately, this CoC hardens the case for vitriol and is begging for someone to push the line for no reason.

Comment

lol. the arguments against the CoC are becoming more and more pathetic. you can tell the article is full of shit just by reading the title.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                It does worry me a little. I've always believed that criticism needs to be blunt. If someone is constantly trying to interpret blunt as offensive, then we're going to end up a bad spot I think. If someone gets banned as a result, there might be consequences.
                Much of what I've seen of Torvald's "criticism" was, indeed, "blunt" in that he often went after the person who wrote the code he was ostensibly criticizing. That is not criticism. It's abuse.

Many also consider his choice of language to be offensive. But, that's really immaterial and potentially diverting. You don't need to swear at people to abuse them.

I've known, and had, bosses who behaved as Torvalds. The consequences: Staff left, including me. Talented people with options do not hang around foul workplaces.

Comment

So who got their feelings hurt and caused all of this nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                    So who got their feelings hurt and caused all of this nonsense?
                    A developer or two per week for nearly 30 years?

Comment

Working...
                    X