Linux 3.16~4.18.8 Affected By Another Potential Local Privilege Escalation Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Throw it away and buy a new one. Only way to get updated kernels on Android.
    My new phone (a mid-2018 almost high-end model!) runs an outdated kernel (4.4 to be exact). So how is buying a new one *the* solution then?

Comment

My Pixel 2 is on kernel 4.4. I get security updates regularly. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

My new phone (a mid-2018 almost high-end model!) runs an outdated kernel (4.4 to be exact). So how is buying a new one *the* solution then?
        4.4 is under long-term support. You are fine. Check https://www.kernel.org/

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

4.4 is under long-term support. You are fine. Check https://www.kernel.org/
          You're right, I forgot about LTS. In that case, it's not outdated. Thanks for correcting me!
          Last edited by Vistaus; 19 September 2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
            My Pixel 2 is on kernel 4.4. I get security updates regularly. Highly recommended.
            You get security updates, but only for a couple of years where after Google would prefer if you bought a brand new phone... Back in the Nexus years Google at least supported their devices for up to 3 years, but apparently there's not any profit in it so they reduced the support window for their official devices.

God it's annoying that barely anybody has a track record of supporting their devices for more than a couple of years. There's Apple and Jolla, who still supports the original Jolla phone released almost 5 years ago, but apart from that I can't think of anyone who has a track record of supporting their devices for more than a couple of years. HMD, the company behind the new Nokia phones, promises 3 years of updates, but they haven't even been selling phones for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Consumer embedded development in general is a cesspool of cost-saving, they are cutting all possible corners even for hardware that is sold for 600+ euros and has an aura of "luxury".
              True. And that is why it makes no sense to spend more than 200 euros on a mobile phone. No sense at all. 200 euro and downwards phones already have decent performance/screen/camera, and since they are relatively cheap you are not afraid of losing them and you get to replace them often.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

True. And that is why it makes no sense to spend more than 200 euros on a mobile phone. No sense at all. 200 euro and downwards phones already have decent performance/screen/camera, and since they are relatively cheap you are not afraid of losing them and you get to replace them often.
                Well, 600 or less than 200 euros still can't buy adventurist spirit of updating kernels to what you want for youself

How to Update your Android Kernel to Latest Linux Stable
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

You get security updates, but only for a couple of years where after Google would prefer if you bought a brand new phone... Back in the Nexus years Google at least supported their devices for up to 3 years, but apparently there's not any profit in it so they reduced the support window for their official devices.

God it's annoying that barely anybody has a track record of supporting their devices for more than a couple of years. There's Apple and Jolla, who still supports the original Jolla phone released almost 5 years ago, but apart from that I can't think of anyone who has a track record of supporting their devices for more than a couple of years. HMD, the company behind the new Nokia phones, promises 3 years of updates, but they haven't even been selling phones for that long.
                  I agree. Google gives the devices 3 years for security updates, at least, but the phone could easily last longer. And the only reason I have the Pixel 2 is because of the trade-in offer they had with the first Pixel.

Heck, I still have my Nexus 5 which still works nicely for most things -- I had to get a new phone due to microphone problems but that was the only reason.

I really wanted Ubuntu phones to work out, as that was really my last glimmer of hope. Maybe the librem phone will work out... but sorry guys I can't exert any more energy to holding my breath :/.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    Motorola phones are at a great price point for these reasons. But they could be better about updates.

Comment

There will be stable releases within the next few hours with this fix according to LKML.

Comment

Working...
                      X