Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19-rc4 Released As Linus Temporarily Steps Away From Kernel Maintainership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Wow, the comments to on these few threads have been eye opening.
    Well maybe with your eyes open you can learn something.
    So many fucking idiots who seem to think being decent to other people is a bad idea, and gave it the label of "politically correct" (an idiotic term made up mostly by extremists and racists).
    The hatred of the politically correct crowd has nothing to do being an extremist or racist! It is a massive stretch to try to link ignorance with people fighting ignorance.

Political correctness is ignorance, it is a form of oppression and is based on the belief that one group should have control over what others believe.
    I'm surprised that even bridgman one of the developers at AMD has such views as well. The scope of the problem is much bigger than I thought.
    If you want to see a problem look in the mirror. Ive been around long enough to see many a business screw up because they wanted to be the nice guys.

Like it or not Linus is a manager and frankly that means making decisions that upset people. That doesnt mean being an ASS 100% of the time but it does mean agrresively defending ones principles and keeping all the ducks in a row. Sometimes that means going as far as telling people to find another project.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post
      But who's to say that he wouldn't have achieved even more if he'd have taken the feelings of the people he was dealing with into account. Those he was dealing with directly and those who were indirectly affected? Apparently Linus himself seems to think that he can do even better and that's why he's working on his behavior. I for one trust his judgement on this.
      I'm not arguing, but it should be acknowledged that empathy takes time and energy. If we assume Linus was the main bottleneck, then it's possible he'd have achieved less by being more empathetic. It's also possible he'd have made worse decisions regarding what goes in. But, if better people skills made him a more effective manager and better at attracting/retaining help and farming out work, then it might've been a net positive.

I think most open source maintainers cannot afford an attitude like Linus'. A lot of projects have foundered or splintered because of difficult people being central to them (didn't something like that cause libav to fork from ffmpeg?). It might be an interesting area of study for sociologists to determine a set of traits most predictive of OSS project success or failure. This could feed into training, books, etc. that could become almost foundational, for OSS developers.

Comment

Hey guys I'm a black transgender even though my skin is pale as paper. Here is my great contribution to the Linux kernel:
        Code:
        int main(){
        while(true) malloc(-1);
        return 0;
        }
        Accept the commit or I will call you racist and call your boss and demand you be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
          Hey guys I'm a black transgender even though my skin is pale as paper. Here is my great contribution to the Linux kernel:
          Code:
          int main(){
          while(true) malloc(-1);
          return 0;
          }
          Accept the commit or I will call you racist and call your boss and demand you be fired.
          let's just hope they tell you to fix the following first:

ERROR: Bad function definition - int main() should probably be int main(void)
          #1: FILE: /tmp/main.c:1:
          +int main(){

ERROR: open brace '{' following function definitions go on the next line
          +int main(){

ERROR: space required before the open brace '{'
          +int main(){

ERROR: space required before the open parenthesis '('
          #2: FILE: /tmp/main.c:2:
          +while(true) malloc(-1);

ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
          #2: FILE: /tmp/main.c:2:
          +while(true) malloc(-1);

total: 5 errors, 1 warnings, 4 lines checked

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post

let's just hope they tell you to fix the following first:

<snip>

total: 5 errors, 1 warnings, 4 lines checked
            You only made those checks because you hate trans-gender-negro Albinos!
            Furthermore those checks are implemented by white-cis-hetero-males to oppress minorities who had not the chance to program for 30 years.
            The code compiles and works and is therefore fit to be merged into the latest release!

Heil Coraline Ada Ehmke!

PS: I am exaggerate here of course but I am sure those discussions WILL come up and talented people will be driven out of the development and I doubt the same amount of talented people will start developing for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasenpfote View Post
              You only made those checks because you hate trans-gender-negro Albinos!
              Furthermore those checks are implemented by white-cis-hetero-males to oppress minorities who had not the chance to program for 30 years.
              The code compiles and works and is therefore fit to be merged into the latest release!

Heil Coraline Ada Ehmke!

PS: I am exaggerate here of course but I am sure those discussions WILL come up and talented people will be driven out of the development and I doubt the same amount of talented people will start developing for Linux.
              ofc they will be, but if it's between that and having non PC communities, It's totally worth it, right?

Comment

Read this thread as in "Thread overview: 12+ messages / expand":

It is a sign from heaven when snowflakes do not even understand what the master is saying.
                In my view Linus is taking a break for good reasons.

It is crazy when random SJWs author "code of conduct" for Linux kernel project.
                It is crazy when oversized-ego devs inject code ideas (e.g. systemd) into Linux OS space to the detriment of other developers and users.

We have reached a point of open software development limit.
                It is time to reevaluate - developers by invitation only, return to semi-closed model, etc.
                Otherwise we run the danger of becoming subverted by harmful actors.

Comment

Originally posted by jb.1234abcd View Post
                  Read this thread as in "Thread overview: 12+ messages / expand":

It is a sign from heaven when snowflakes do not even understand what the master is saying.
                  In my view Linus is taking a break for good reasons.

It is crazy when random SJWs author "code of conduct" for Linux kernel project.
                  It is crazy when oversized-ego devs inject code ideas (e.g. systemd) into Linux OS space to the detriment of other developers and users.

We have reached a point of open software development limit.
                  It is time to reevaluate - developers by invitation only, return to semi-closed model, etc.
                  Otherwise we run the danger of becoming subverted by harmful actors.
                  I'm sure FreeBSD would welcome you.

Comment

We are "scientific" people, so I started a thread on /r/linux to collect abuse facts, i created a copy on /s/Linux (reddit clone). To avoid censorship.

OK, the clone doesn't prevent the reddit's post to be downvoted to the point of being not visible anymore, but who knows.

My request is simple. Can we have data about how often, how violent/disrespectful (links required), on which basis Linus reaction got a negative impact. It doesn't have to be precise or absolute.
                    Unfortunately and just for rigor, we need to identify the victim's identity-statement to see if any harassment - even 1 - in this direction has been committed which is of course not acceptable!
                    Fortunately, we are not in the case of a rape, physical aggression so the #LinusVictim should not be afraid to speak up.

I don't know you but i don't like to be assimilated to a pervert, rapist, racist and this is how this CoC presents us.

In 18 years, i never experienced (i am brown caramel) or seen such behavior, i don't say it doesn't exist but this sudden epidemic is a bit difficult to accept without data.

Comment

Account on /r/linux has been banned.

Comment

Working...
                      X