Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19-rc4 Released As Linus Temporarily Steps Away From Kernel Maintainership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    Of course, I'd rather be in an airplane built by a rude but dedicated smart guy, than a gentleman but mediocre mechanic...
    Just playing the devil's advocate here, but how do you know the plane wouldn't have been even better built if the rudeness of the dedicated smart guy hadn't discouraged other potential engineers to work on it? Not saying it's the case here, just playing the what-if game.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
      Just playing the devil's advocate here, but how do you know the plane wouldn't have been even better built if the rudeness of the dedicated smart guy hadn't discouraged other potential engineers to work on it? Not saying it's the case here, just playing the what-if game.
      I have no clue, I was just looking at the 2 extremes.
      But yes, that's a great point!

Comment

Originally posted by mcallegari View Post
        I hope he doesn't come back with the politically correct idea of writing 5.0 in Java LOL

Seriously. What he achieved in 30 years is a matter of fact. If there was another person in his place, we probably wouldn't have such a high quality kernel, or the project would have died decades ago.
        You can say everything you want about him but he did achieve things and gave the world one of the most precious gift in the software history.
        Who contributes to the kernel code is aware of who he is and should be prepared for his reactions.

Think about it. The same story happened with Steve Jobs, and now that he's dead he's a hero. As a matter of fact he did things and changed the world, exactly like Torvalds.
        Great things come at a price, and these people personality is the price. Are they justified for this ? No, I think they can do better, but still, they do things.
        Yes Linus indubitably achieved great things, no question there. There's an unstated assumption in your post however. It's that he achieved those because of his - let's call it - rude behavior and that he wouldn't have achieved it without said behavior. But that's just that - an assumption. There's no prove whatsoever and how could there be? But who's to say that he wouldn't have achieved even more if he'd have taken the feelings of the people he was dealing with into account. Those he was dealing with directly and those who were indirectly affected? Apparently Linus himself seems to think that he can do even better and that's why he's working on his behavior. I for one trust his judgement on this.

Comment

Sad day, Linux will probably be RIP soon and turn into another bloated pile SJW infested fest with their languages for kindergarten kids.

The Google/Alphabet SJW leftist mafia is behind this for sure.

Comment

It’s surprising that so many people defend or condone the kind of behavior Linus Torvalds displays.

It is entirely possible to be strict and demanding of the people contributing to the kernel without the blowups, tirades or profanity this man has become known for.

He clearly had an issue, and I’m glad he is seeking help, because over the years he has no doubt pushed away or kept away good people that can make meaningful contributions to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              I always loved Linus' rants and harsh style, so much politically incorrect and anticorporative. I'll miss them :'(
              OTOH: if he wants to be able to maintain the kernel w/o dying young from a heart attack from all the harshness and agressiveness, I think he made the right choice

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Everyone needs a break from time to time.
                "Everybody needs a little time away, I heard her say..."

Comment

I am waiting for GKH to feel what Linus goes through every release and see how he reacts to the crap.

Comment

The Linux Foundation went full SJW. You never go full SJW.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      Wow, the comments to on these few threads have been eye opening.

So many fucking idiots who seem to think being decent to other people is a bad idea, and gave it the label of "politically correct" (an idiotic term made up mostly by extremists and racists).

I'm surprised that even bridgman one of the developers at AMD has such views as well. The scope of the problem is much bigger than I thought.
                      You should read wiki page for it. It's not idiot term and it was not made up by racists or extremists.

Comment

Working...
                      X