Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19-rc4 Released As Linus Temporarily Steps Away From Kernel Maintainership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm relieved to hear this is just temporary; his tone was very encouraging. It's different than how he's responded in the past when called out for his behavior.

Sounds like the booking mistake was officially _on him_ and he had to own up to that. And this time there was no one to berate but himself. I imagine it likely inconvenienced others who put a lot of time and consideration into their schedule and around their families to attend. Makes sense.

I'm not saying they had an intervention for Linus, but I'm sure people who he genuinely respects brought that up to him. And if it was an isolated incident fine, accidents happen, but it was probably more indicative of needing a break and time off to be introspective. After all, Linux is not just some hobby project anymore.

Linus, see ya for 4.20!

Comment

Originally posted by campbell View Post
      Greg Kroah-Hartman, in the library, with a metal pipe
      Greg might find that interesting (metal pipe) for the next rework of scheduler.
      Linus will find useful the clean Scottish air along with good pint more in relaxation with it's family. Their is nothing wrong with using a F word from time to time if your perentss didn't used it well you all wouldn't be here. Would you? No one really realise how big berden is to be a head and the key of such a large project (and for life). All do I sometimes do disagree with Linus I do respect him and I am aware he is still only a man. I am confident we will see him back soon live and kicking.
      Last edited by Zola; 16 September 2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions.
        I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to
        understand peopleâs emotions and respond appropriately.
        In vino veritas, Linus. Nobody understand emotions as normally people lie even when they don't want to

Plus there are more varieties of these than number of Linux distros So, every person is unique representative of combination of these at some point in time Not so many are ready to go into middle of this wheel, but many are there without even knowing

Probably movie industry and actors understand these the best in first person as they mastering to fake any of these all the time
        Last edited by dungeon; 16 September 2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Wow, the comments to on these few threads have been eye opening.

So many fucking idiots who seem to think being decent to other people is a bad idea, and gave it the label of "politically correct" (an idiotic term made up mostly by extremists and racists).

I'm surprised that even bridgman one of the developers at AMD has such views as well. The scope of the problem is much bigger than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

So many fucking idiots who seem to think being decent to other people is a bad idea, and gave it the label of "politically correct" (an idiotic term made up mostly by extremists and racists).

I'm surprised that even bridgman one of the developers at AMD has such views as well. The scope of the problem is much bigger than I thought.
            Found the actual fascist.

Comment

I've avoided Linux kernel development for decades, even though I really wanted to get involved. But I have never, and will never, work for anyone who is vile and uncivil and abusive.

In fact as both an employee and a manager I fought against these types of personalities for decades, no matter how brilliant they were, or thought they were.

And my goodness, since when did being a civil person become an issue of political correctness?

It's a simple issue of humanity, and being an adult instead of a petulant child.

I hope Mr. Torvalds can truly change and start treating others civilly, because he's incredibly brilliant and I think he has much more to give to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Linus
                And yes, some of it might be "just" tooling. Maybe I can get an email
                filter in place so at when I send email with curse-words, they just
                won't go out.
                Called it.

SRSLY though, I don't think this is as much a change of attitude as him realizing that he wasn't as strict with some boundaries as he thought he was. And realizing that particular instances annoyed people he cared about more than he thought. Good news is it's the kind of incident that really makes those involved think, rather than him just saying things to appease people. He'll figure out how he wants to handle it. And, of course, most of the concern isn't him, but the people who emulate him. Not every wannabe Linus is justified about being an ass to people. But because it happens at the top, they get away with it.

Honestly, he could probably keep it somewhat informal and still leak some profanity if he dialed it down a bit. There's usually once sentence in his emails that makes the headlines, and if it wasn't for that, the rest would fly without more than an eyeroll.

If that's how you really think, it turns out you're part of the problem, too. The label of "politically correct" is far kinder than that of "fucking idiots", which you seem to feel is completely acceptable to apply to other human beings while ranting about "being decent to other people". News flash, you don't get combo points for slathering hypocrisy on top of your blind arrogance.

When it comes down to it, you're not nearly as civilized as you think you are. You just constrain your abuse to those you feel morally superior to. Which, in all honesty, is why people disdain "politically correct" "social justice warriors" in the first place. Because they (SJWs) don't actually improve their behavior. They just change their targets before worsening it. It's not decency, but a charade where bullying is only acceptable if the target "deserves" it. And you can't open your mouth without proving them right.

It's much better to be friends with an open asshole than a closet asshole. Which is exactly why "being decent to other people" hasn't caught on. People would much rather have a consistent asshole than a self-righteous one who flips out periodically yet refuses to acknowledge it.

​​​​​​​
                Indeed it is, because apparently you were completely unaware that you're smack dab in the middle of the problem with the other children. You can't even get through your post without trying to tie another commenter to his job, gleefully hoping that it causes him some sort of trouble. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. And don't come out until you're ready to play with others responsibly.

Comment

Then he has to read Dale carnegie and then return. It's difficult to deny that the best way to get the best from people is to threat them nicely, specially when they are wrong.

Comment

I love Linus' passion for the project and his low tolerance for stupidity, lets not pretend some of his rants weren't well deserved.
                    I hope he is OK.

Comment

I disagreed with the "reasoning" behind the 3.0 and 4.0 releases of the kernels, but now is a more appropriate time than ever to start a new kernel version.

Could it be you who is the idiot? I'm not one to call someone an idiot, but I will if they call other people idiots who understand the industry a lot better. Linux would not be as successful as it is (at least in the server market) if it weren't for Linus and his total intolerance for inadequacy. Does he have to be so mean to get the same result? No, but, his approach does actually have a practical benefit:
                      It prevents his time (which is unarguably valuable) from being wasted.
                      Linus wants skilled people to contribute. He wants to make sure that whoever wrote their commits knows what they're doing and isn't sloppy. So when he berates people for submitting crappy code for him to review, I frankly don't blame him for getting frustrated, because that means he's going to have to review it again if the person decides to re-submit it.

As for Bridgman, the only thing surprising about him is how he's actually supportive of Linus, despite the fact that Linus has hindered his own team's progress due to the DC/DAL situation. So the fact that he's kinda been on the receiving end of Linus' wrath and still accepts it shows that he is understanding of how this all works.

Another thing to consider:
                      When you submit your hard work and someone just spits on it and rejects it, there are 2 outcomes to this:
                      1. You are so bothered by it that you give up (in which case, you weren't fit for the job).
                      2. You improve it out of spite. Or at the very least, you improve it for the sake of your own dignity.
                      Keep in mind that Linus doesn't really seem to have any biases against people, so if he rejects your work, that's because it really isn't good [enough].
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 16 September 2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X