Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Contributes 8.5x More Code To The Linux Kernel Than NVIDIA, But Intel Still Leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clavko View Post
    And yes, it's modern to s*** on nVidia, but while you're at it, don't use LoC. Use number of features added, percentage of SKU gamma covered by os driver, test coverage, performance results, review issues count... Almost anything but LoC, I'd say.
    We are not talking about third-party off-tree closed-source driver running on linux, we are talking about contribution to linux tree, about code living within the linux tree. For some unknown and unspoken reason you talk about almost anything but contribution to linux tree, that's weird!

It looks like you are trying to sell the Nvidia driver itself (SKU gamma, test coverage, performance results, review issues count) but in this thread no one is going to sell any linux driver, people in this thread are comparing how much an hardware company contributes code to linux source tree directly via its own employees. It looks like you're absolutely out of topic.

Comment

review is hardly the time and place to be changing arch design.
      lol, how many kernel reviews did you pass? what can you tell us about dc review?
      Then you conclude that there is no better metric available, when there clearly are lots of available, some of which I already mentioned.
      you are confusing availability of your assertion with availability of better metrics
      And yes, globals are definitely evil, even if you don't understand exactly why
      globals are replaced with parameter passing. which is not free, i.e. can be considered evil in some context. and even more evil than global
      Last edited by pal666; 16 September 2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        that means "nvidia does not support linux in the way I would prefer".
        Fixed for you. You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Not really. They don't support it in a form that's productive, convenient, maintainable, and user friendly. That's before we consider ethics and free software ideals.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666
            that means "nvidia does not support linux in the way I would prefer".
            Originally posted by DanL View Post
            It still not makes this support a contribution. The topic is about contribution, not about support.

Comment

Working...
            X