Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Marek Olšák Is Dominating Mesa Open-Source GPU Driver Development This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Marek Olšák Is Dominating Mesa Open-Source GPU Driver Development This Year

Phoronix: AMD's Marek Olšák Is Dominating Mesa Open-Source GPU Driver Development This Year

With Q3 coming towards an end, here is a fresh look at the Mesa Git development trends for the year-to-date. Mesa on a commit basis is significantly lower than in previous years, but there is a new top contributor to Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not.even.surprised.

Great work Marek!

And great work everyone else! AMD, Valve, enthusiasts, and others I just love Mesa!

Comment

With the heavy lifting of reaching OpenGL 4.5 gone, what is left is optimizations, witch did not come as easy, hence the low number of commits (or so I'm told).

Also, didn't Marek once said that not all code published under his name was made by him?

Comment

Yep I guess in previous years when Mesa was not up to date on openGL support there was a lot of low hanging fruit. Right now what I am waiting for is better Vulkan performance and freesync (which involves the kernel driver too).

I also wonder whether AMD can now port the GUI Radeon settings control panel from windows. It's based on cross-platform QT.
        Last edited by humbug; 12 September 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

To me, it's not just the number of commits that count, but the significance of them. Marek's patches are often a pretty big deal, and yet, he has so many of them.

But, I definitely don't want to diminish the efforts of the others, especially Valve's devs. They have no obligation to contribute toward Mesa (let alone, anything brand/hardware-specific) and yet they do anyway. People around here give Valve a really hard time for some of their business practices, but if it weren't for Valve, a Linux-based OS revolved around gaming and/or desktop use would not be what it is today.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          With the heavy lifting of reaching OpenGL 4.5 gone, what is left is optimizations, witch did not come as easy, hence the low number of commits (or so I'm told).
          Well, there's also 4.6 to get out of the way. Just 2 more extensions, though.

Comment

Umm... We've known that looking at lines of code is a bad indicator of progress or work since the 1970s. Not only do less verbose implementations tend to be faster, different kinds of work (feature work, maintenance, etc.) tend to entail vast differences in resulting numbers of line additions and removals. Particularly optimizations and code clean-up tend to lead to low numbers of additions and often even more removals than additions.

Considering how much new code OpenGL 4.5 support, along with 4.6 minus the SPIR-V stuff, contained it's really no doubt we're seeing fewer new lines of code this year when nothing of that magnitude has at least yet landed. The closest thing is probably the 4.X Compatibility Profile work, but that's obviously not going to be anywhere near in terms of new lines of code.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 12 September 2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Umm... We've known that looking at lines of code is a bad indicator of progress or work since the 1970s. Not only do less verbose implementations tend to be faster, different kinds of work tend to have differences in numbers of line additions and removals. Particularly optimizations and code clean-up tend to lead to low numbers of additions and removals as well as more removals than additions.

Considering how much new code OpenGL 4.5 support, along with 4.6 minus the SPIR-V stuff, contained it's really no doubt we're seeing fewer new lines of code this year when nothing of that magnitude has at least yet landed. The closest thing is probably the 4.X Compatibility Profile work, but that's obviously not going to be anywhere near in terms of new lines of code.
              The compatibility profile patches were surprisingly small

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Also, didn't Marek once said that not all code published under his name was made by him?
                All code authored by me was written by me. When I commit code for other people, it doesn't show up in my statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

All code authored by me was written by me. When I commit code for other people, it doesn't show up in my statistics.
                  Thank you very much for your generous contributions. We as a whole wouldn't be as far along as we are if it wasn't for your efforts.

Comment

many thanks to Marek Olšák

Comment

Working...
                    X