No announcement yet.

Firefox-62.0 slow to compile ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome is good but deliberately eat all my ram.

Comment

After using Firefox for some time, it starts using a lot of CPU process or RAM. ... If Firefox runs faster in Safe Mode, then you know the problem lies in one of the add-ons or plugins. Disable all add-ons, and restart Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo56 View Post
        After using Firefox for some time, it starts using a lot of CPU process or RAM. ... If Firefox runs faster dgcustomerfirst in Safe Mode, then you know the problem lies in one of the add-ons or plugins. Disable all add-ons, and restart Firefox.
        Any progress?

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
          I saw that the source for firefox-62.0 was out, so I downloaded. Previous version I've built was 62.0beta20. I use a patch for system harfbuzz and system graphite2, so the first thing I did was diff the sources to see if anything relevant to that or the other system versions had changed - no. Started the build, left it. From time to time checked, still building. Eventually used 'top', at that point 'ld' was running so it was only using 100% cpu and finished shortly after.

This is a Ryzen 1300X, with beta20 and -j4 the build and install had taken under 47 minutes. With 62.0 release, almost 131 minutes for ./mach build. Installed that, works fine, but thought I'd done something wrong in the build, or maybe --verbose was slowing it. Fresh source, dropped caches, retried without the patch : still building, not using more than 100% CPU (i.e. only one core) in either rustc or cc1plus, MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS=-j4 definitely exported.

LFS/BLFS-8.3, gcc-8.2.0, llvm/clang 6.0.1, rustc-1.25.0. Kernel, if it matters, is 4.18.3 (and all are unchanged since I built beta20).
          This is about 63.0 As soon as I upgraded (beta channel) from 62.0 to 63.0 I noticed a considerable performance slowdown, especially related to the opening of web pages.
          Every time it has to connect to a URL, in the current tab or in a new one, the browser seems to... wait quite a lot (say 8-10 seconds) for something, while nothing seems to happen apart from the dot in the tab title moving back and forth.
          This did not occur with the previous releases and does not happen with other browsers, which keep loading pages as fast (or slow, depending on points of view) as usual. So that know, in my computer at least, Firefox has turned from being definitely the fastest browser to being definitely the slowest.

Comment

Firefox team maybe help you AirTamer
            To the creators of the moderation queue plugin:

Can you please fix the moderation dialog so that attached links appear? This is how spammers get around the mod queue.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
              Since people (or perhaps, just insane attempts at artificial intelligence) are still posting to this old thread, what I hope will be a final comment from me: For building from source, rustc has horrendous variability - even when rebuilding the same package (firefox or whatever) on the same machine and same system, so that all the cargo files have already been downloaded, the timings are all over the place. Sometimes, you get a faster build. Other times, you get a very slow build. It's just the nature of the beast.

All rust really aims to do is to provide safer builds, and for that aim, or hope, it's far too early to form a view on whether or not it meets it.
              I've now seen similar issues with 62.0.2 and 63.0b8 - but only on the Ryzen 1300X. The build of 62.0.2 was mostly very slow (fell back to only 100% CPU), but eventually speeded up to using 400% near the end. With 63 I've been using rustc-1.29.0, first build (clang) was very slow but eventually failed (possibly something in my choice of system libs). Went back to gcc-8.2.0, it was back to 400% a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoftWarthog View Post

I've now seen similar issues with 62.0.2 and 63.0b8 -myprepaidcenter but only on the Ryzen 1300X. The build of 62.0.2 was mostly very slow (fell back to only 100% CPU), but eventually speeded up to using 400% near the end. With 63 I've been using rustc-1.29.0, first build (clang) was very slow but eventually failed (possibly something in my choice of system libs). Went back to gcc-8.2.0, it was back to 400% a lot of the time.
                so true bro they should updte it as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
                  India means spam. *sigh*
                  This is highly inappropriate and disrespectful. To point out the whole country.

Comment

Working...
                  X