Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel To Develop Safety-Critical Linux OS Distribution

Phoronix: Intel To Develop Safety-Critical Linux OS Distribution

Imad Sousou of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has announced their plans to develop a safety-critical Linux distribution. This Linux distribution will be geared for running on safety-compliant solutions from autonomous vehicles to drones and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The cynical in me is thinking: "A safety-critical distro from the guys of IME and Meltdown fame. What could go wrong?".

Comment

Why don't they fix their processors first before doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Amen to that. It's not like their is an unfixable problem with x86, but with Whiskey and Amber Lake, they're up to their third iteration of Kaby Lake? Without hardware security fixes. For a company as big as Intel, this is just rediculous.

Comment

Hmmmm... Intel... safety...

Comment

And everybody will run it on AMD processors :-D

Comment

This reminds me of watching suits, pro bono case to improve their public image.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64
                but with Whiskey and Amber Lake, they're up to their third iteration of Kaby Lake?
                Actually it's the fourth iteration of Skylake...

Comment

Is this an example of "embrace-and-extend", or are there going to be significant upstream contributions from this effort?

Interestingly, Intel doesn't even have chips that play into a number of the listed safety-critical applications, since cancelling Edison and their low-power Atom-lineage SoCs.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    As much as I dislike Intel, I'm pretty sure they're working on that right now and that's going to be worked on by a different set of engineers. Also, with the turnaround times for high end silicon, it'll still be a couple of years before anything with substantial fixes will be on store shelves regardless of how many stops they pull.

Comment

Working...
                    X