Valve Rolls Out Wine-based "Proton" For Running Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I wonder how Valve is going to defend itself in the court when MS sue them.
    There is nothing illegal in here.

Valve is not using DirectX , Valve using Vulkan on games using DirectX as an api to translate their calls into Vulkan.

If that was sufficient to go the court , MS would sue Khronos Portability Initiative first.

Comment

Tried Flight Sim World but crashes with no dx11 device.

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        If only my nvidia driver does not crash, still can't make the switch to linux with just nouveau.
        Nvidia seems to be taking more steps away from nouveau.
        Either use their blob, or if you really want open source drivers, get an AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          I wonder how Valve is going to defend itself in the court when MS sue them.
          Hmmm... Valve is big enough company to take such risk. They lawyers probably checked what is the risk and said "lets try" In reality at this moment nothing changed - Microsoft is not affected at all. It could change only if many, many users will abandon Win10/XboX and go to Linux. I think before 5-10% market share - Microsoft will not care at all.

To be realistic: 10% Linux market share is not possible even if Proton will excellent support all Windows Steam games. "Average PC gamer" is not technically advanced enough to install Linux. And what for? To play games that already are working on Windows?

Unless... Valve will back to SteamMachine initiative. Steam PC that is easy to use as console could attract "average gamers" easily - console ones especially.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            I have tested witcher 3 with DXVK and at 4k with custom high settings on my 1080ti, basically this

Linux DXVK 0.60 FPS: 42
            Windows 10 FPS: 58

However it might be better now with the new beta drivers and newer DXVK versions. At 1080p and 1440p its more then playable, but 4k is touch and go with DXVK but next gen cards will likely resolve that shortcoming.
            16 fps is a significant drop, they need to reduce that. Another issue is modding, can Proton games be modded properly as some games rely heavily on mods.

Comment

While native games are better. This will give steam and developers a linux demand based people actually running games through steam play instead of booting to windows.
              Im glad they made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

16 fps is a significant drop, they need to reduce that. Another issue is modding, can Proton games be modded properly as some games rely heavily on mods.
                Its subjective, most people are NOT running at 4k thus 30% performance drop is NOT a big issue.

You can see a similar variation in framerate when comparing kingdom come, however that game has areas which are significantly more intensive then others, but on windows I average around 50fps (prologue area will give above 60fps often), under Linux DXVK you get around 40fps, but dips to low 30s is not uncommon for that game.

Comment

Tried Life is Strange: Before the Storm.
                  At first it crashed.
                  I went into '~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7'
                  And found a file called 'user_settings_sample.py'
                  Rename this file to just 'user_settings.py'
                  Open the file and uncomment this line: "PROTON_USE_WINED3D11": "1",
                  Game now runs like a charm
                  Remember to revert that line again if you want to run a different game using DXVK

Edit: Better to just add PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command% to the games start parameters in Steam
                  Last edited by Brisse; 25 August 2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

You should probably forward that one to Steam proton team so they can fix it, save loads of people trouble down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                      Just tested this with Hitman: Codename 47. Worked like a charm with 60 FPS sharp. However, alt-tabbing did not work. Computer games should give superior experience than console games. Alt-tabbing must work perfectly (in addition to game pad support). Computer gamer should have all the things he have available for him in computer on second while the game is running on background.

Anyway, was a great experience. This really means that tons of games are *steaming* for Linux gamers with one click play. Can't wait to suggest people to install Linux if they want their games work good by steamed click & play
                      Try a wayland session. Apps can't block alt-tab there, it doesn't even reach the app. So this kind of things will soon be fixed for good

Comment

Working...
                      X