Flatpak Post-1.0 Will Focus On Infrastructure Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Please stop this "money" bs... I am as much as a community member as many of us here and I did contribute my part over the decades using Linux.
    Even assuming you did contribute, that still does not grant you much rights. Contributions are like gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      *Shrug* It could be significant depending on the user's storage resources, budget, priorities etc.
      Bullshit, you can't even find x86 tablets with less than 32gb flash (which is needed for windows). If someone is repurposing a chromebook (that has low amounts of flash) then it's his own problem.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Bullshit, you can't even find x86 tablets with less than 32gb flash
        So if you have a 30GB volume, 2 or 3GB extra is 5-10% of your storage. I'd call that significant. Thank you for proving my point.

Comment

*Shrug* It could be significant depending on the user's storage resources, budget, priorities etc.
          At any rate, calling someone who dislikes bloat "OCD" is just... *facepalm*

i did NOT call you that.
          i just said that this is the only reason which makes sense to me.
          your reason seems to be that a few GB extra ssd space is to expensive to you which i simple cant understand today. as another one said: 1990 is over

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            as another one said: 1990 is over

But there was nothing wrong with 1995. A bunch of really worthy operating systems were operating back that time.

All I can say is, that we should go ahead and show some responsibilities for our environment. Rather than throwing away tons of electonic devices each day, we should all reconsider for our environment and our future (and the future of our children). Rather than continuing this mess called "hardware is cheap nowadays" it should be better "how much can we get out of it". And hell... You can get a lot out of older (and current) hardware. The problem nowadays is the wrong way of thinking.

So what benefits and what kind of security gains do we get with flatpaks ? Offering flatpaks (the security concern) for some Gnome software (depending on webcores javascript engine)... I mean... All the work for bundling crappy software using a crappy underlaying technology for the security argument ?

Hey here you have some Gnome XYZ Application as cool flatpak package. Downloadable from our security approved flathub... Oh yeah sorry but the Gnome XYZ Application leaks shitload of memory and uses somes security concerned java script technology...

But hey! Who cares... Havin' enough Harddisk space and where we are at it... Buy yet another stack of Ram, because we leak memory like shit...

Comment

So if you have a 30GB volume, 2 or 3GB extra is 5-10% of your storage. I'd call that significant.
              I'd call that acceptable, considering that a linux distro won't ever occupy more than 10GB in there (unless you install Steam, that is), so you still have at least 18 GB in there, more than enough to install all applications you want (apart from Steam again).

Flatpack isn't just wasting space for nothing, it uses that space to provide a service. Allocating 5-10% of your storage (worst-case scenario) to have the applications you need/want to keep always up-to-date and sandboxed is imho 100% worth it.

If we were talking of 16GB of storage then yeah it would have been an issue.

Comment

But there was nothing wrong with 1995. A bunch of really worthy operating systems were operating back that time.

All I can say is, that we should go ahead and show some responsibilities for our environment. Rather than throwing away tons of electonic devices each day, we should all reconsider for our environment and our future (and the future of our children). Rather than continuing this mess called "hardware is cheap nowadays" it should be better "how much can we get out of it". And hell... You can get a lot out of older (and current) hardware. The problem nowadays is the wrong way of thinking.

So what benefits and what kind of security gains do we get with flatpaks ? Offering flatpaks (the security concern) for some Gnome software (depending on webcores javascript engine)... I mean... All the work for bundling crappy software using a crappy underlaying technology for the security argument ?

Hey here you have some Gnome XYZ Application as cool flatpak package. Downloadable from our security approved flathub... Oh yeah sorry but the Gnome XYZ Application leaks shitload of memory and uses somes security concerned java script technology...

But hey! Who cares... Havin' enough Harddisk space and where we are at it... Buy yet another stack of Ram, because we leak memory like shit...
                I can feel where you're coming from. Your sense of environmentalism is actually a really good thing, but I'm afraid you don't know what you're saying. Well, I guess in the sense of the environmental cost to manufacture computers, you probably are sorta correct, but in the sense of the environmental cost to operate computers you are definitely wrong. It costs the environment a whole lot more to operate old computers than it does to operate new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  [...] It costs the environment a whole lot more to operate old computers than it does to operate new ones.
                  That wasn't my point... My point is: How many old notebooks, harddisks, tablets and phones are laying around in your house ? Still pretty much functional but run out of service due to crappy javascript programmers increase demand in harddisk space and memory ?

Btw: welcome in real world!

Comment

That wasn't my point... My point is: How many old notebooks, harddisks, tablets and phones are laying around in your house ? Still pretty much functional but run out of service due to crappy javascript programmers increase demand in harddisk space and memory ?

Btw: welcome in real world!

Survival of the fittest... If a product isn't fit to serve a purpose then it's time to retire it.

And we do live in a commercialized industrial world, it already happened whether you like it or not and 3rd world nations deserve to have access to it just as much as we do. Our wesern nations have set up policies that make it too difficult for developing nations to industrialize. As long as those nations lack infrastructure for it that's just how it's gonna be. It sucks but we 1st world nations need to accept the responsibility of building the entire worlds infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Survival of the fittest... If a product isn't fit to serve a purpose then it's time to retire it.
                      You mean something like "It's old as soon as you unbox it" ? Retirement is signed as soon as you open the box.

It's up to everyone to take responsibility for his or her own environment. This also is valid when producing software...

Recently we've been told, that Apple put some technology (slowing it down after time) inside their operating systems to enforce the customers to change systems. Hardware and Software would still have been very functional.

Then let's continue this path... We don't have crap enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X