X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    I aim to be a multi-billionaire with an hot all-natural wife and a sprawling compound, doesn't mean it's happening next year.
    If you are billionaire you can have a wife built to spec.

Are they aiming to match every performance metric of the i5-7300U?
    Interesting question. The smart move would be to do end runs around Intel that offers buyers real advantages. For example work in the long vector support that they worked with fijitsu on. Integrate solid machine learning hardware. Things like this can lead to huge gains in specialized code.
    Just standard scalar code performance?
    Sadly just as likely the only thing they care about.
    Are we really supposed to believe that two thirds of the power budget of the i5-7300U is "things intel hasn't figured out" and "x86 overhead"?
    Yes! Intel has several problems one of which is never caring about the ultra low power market. Plus they have been a little obsessed with backward compatibility leaving their processors with hardware to support hardly used instructions and memory models.

In ARMs case and probably a goal at Apple, they can pare the processor down to just what the modern 64 bit world needs. I say probably Apple due to their very agressive guidance to developer to move their apps to the 64 bit processors and libraries. When the bulk of the libray of apps is 64 bits they can easily drop all hardware in their processors supporting ARMs old 32 bit architectures. The end result should be a very clean 64 bit processor implementation reducing size, thermals and increasing performance.

So yeah Intel isnt the technology leader in low power and frankly never have been.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Everything accelerates at a faster pace when you're at the beginning of the race.
    No, it's because ARM is less complicated than x86 and because for a long time ARM didn't bother trying to compete with x86.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

ARM has been getting better at a faster pace than x86, but yeah their timeline is likely overrated. I wouldn't buy a 2 core CPU, but I would a 4 core one. If they have it by 2021 I'd probably go for it if it used like less than 10W.

And their mali video drivers are closed source, so .. f#ck it.
    Everything accelerates at a faster pace when you're at the beginning of the race.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Hopefully they'll implement upstream support for ARM-based laptops, otherwise all of this is hardly useful.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close. Not to mention that nobody wants Windows ARM laptops and ARM can't see beyond Windows laptops.
    ARM has been getting better at a faster pace than x86, but yeah their timeline is likely overrated. I wouldn't buy a 2 core CPU, but I would a 4 core one. If they have it by 2021 I'd probably go for it if it used like less than 10W.

And their mali video drivers are closed source, so .. f#ck it.
    Last edited by cl333r; 16 August 2018, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EarthMind
    replied
    If that's true, then it's good progress. But I'd rather see them compete with the desktop CPUs rather then the poor performing U variants

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close.
    When did ARM Ltd say they'd be competitive against Intel Core CPU? Some of their customers perhaps did, but I can't remember ARM Ltd making such a claim until now.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    I aim to be a multi-billionaire with an hot all-natural wife and a sprawling compound, doesn't mean it's happening next year.

Are they aiming to match every performance metric of the i5-7300U? Just standard scalar code performance?
    It's pretty reasonable considering the i5-7300U is a medium range mobile chip and they're already well within most of the i3 performance metrics.

Are we really supposed to believe that two thirds of the power budget of the i5-7300U is "things intel hasn't figured out" and "x86 overhead"?
    It's a 2017 chip. By 2020 it will be 3 years old and that's the current gap ARM already has with Intel's mobile chips. This is just ARM observing the trend line. The reason it's more relevant now it because Intel isn't expected to come out with better chips until Q3-Q4/19 since they're reengineering the whole x86 family to counter the speculative execution vulnerabilities. But that is left unsaid.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close. Not to mention that nobody wants Windows ARM laptops and ARM can't see beyond Windows laptops.

Leave a comment:

• lucasbekker
    replied
    They are looking at integer math performance, floating point hardware consumes a lot of power...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X