ARM Aims To Deliver Core i5 Like Performance At Less Than 5 Watts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    You seem to be so sure of yourself even though you obviously lack even basic knowledge of the subject that I'm not convinced it's worth wasting time putting links you either won't read or won't understand, but here it is for others to read:

[/FONT]

https://semiengineering.com/knowledg...r-consumption/

So yes unused transistors have a power impact but read my other post above about power gating.
    Dude, that's not what I asked for. You implied that transistors cannot be turned off (or that it doesn't matter) because they consume power even when off. The entire context was about that fact. Reality is that you have to turn them off especially to conserve power (and not overheat).

From the same site:

https://semiengineering.com/knowledg.../dark-silicon/

If anything, as I have previously said in the exact previous post, the existence of leakage and the requirement of "Dark Silicon" is proof to the fact that today, more than ever, you have to turn off transistors or risk overheating.

Excerpt: Some elements, such as specialized logic and cache memory, are particularly “dark-silicon friendly,” in that they contribute to overall IC performance while consuming power only in special situations.

Maybe should add AVX to the list eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Dude, that's not what I asked for. You implied that transistors cannot be turned off (or that it doesn't matter) because they consume power even when off. The entire context was about that fact. Reality is that you have to turn them off especially to conserve power (and not overheat).
      It looks like you missed my previous post which was quite explicit even citing AVX. Where did I say or imply transistors can't be "turned off"? I even explained that one of the ways to "turn off" a transistor by stopping the clock is not enough, you have to basically "unplug" it.

And anyway this discussion started with your claim that unused transistors don't consume power which no matter how you turn it is wrong. But it looks like we agree in the end.
      Last edited by ldesnogu; 19 August 2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
        It looks like you missed my previous post which was quite explicit even citing AVX. Where did I say or imply transistors can't be "turned off"? I even explained that one of the ways to "turn off" a transistor by stopping the clock is not enough, you have to basically "unplug" it.

And anyway this discussion started with your claim that unused transistors don't consume power which no matter how you turn it is wrong. But it looks like we agree in the end.
        Ok, "don't consume nearly as much power as when actually utilized" then. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X