Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Aims To Deliver Core i5 Like Performance At Less Than 5 Watts

Phoronix: ARM Aims To Deliver Core i5 Like Performance At Less Than 5 Watts

ARM has made public an aggressive CPU forward-looking road-map and some performance expectations. ARM is hoping to deliver year-over-year performance improvements of more than 15% through 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I aim to be a multi-billionaire with an hot all-natural wife and a sprawling compound, doesn't mean it's happening next year.

Are they aiming to match every performance metric of the i5-7300U? Just standard scalar code performance? Are we really supposed to believe that two thirds of the power budget of the i5-7300U is "things intel hasn't figured out" and "x86 overhead"?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      I aim to be a multi-billionaire with an hot all-natural wife and a sprawling compound, doesn't mean it's happening next year.

Are they aiming to match every performance metric of the i5-7300U? Just standard scalar code performance? Are we really supposed to believe that two thirds of the power budget of the i5-7300U is "things intel hasn't figured out" and "x86 overhead"?
      Not to mention they compare their "future 5nm" node with 10nm or 14nm processors. Because that makes sense, not.

Comment

They are looking at integer math performance, floating point hardware consumes a lot of power...

Comment

Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close. Not to mention that nobody wants Windows ARM laptops and ARM can't see beyond Windows laptops.

Comment

Are they aiming to match every performance metric of the i5-7300U? Just standard scalar code performance?
            It's pretty reasonable considering the i5-7300U is a medium range mobile chip and they're already well within most of the i3 performance metrics.

Are we really supposed to believe that two thirds of the power budget of the i5-7300U is "things intel hasn't figured out" and "x86 overhead"?
            It's a 2017 chip. By 2020 it will be 3 years old and that's the current gap ARM already has with Intel's mobile chips. This is just ARM observing the trend line. The reason it's more relevant now it because Intel isn't expected to come out with better chips until Q3-Q4/19 since they're reengineering the whole x86 family to counter the speculative execution vulnerabilities. But that is left unsaid.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close.
              When did ARM Ltd say they'd be competitive against Intel Core CPU? Some of their customers perhaps did, but I can't remember ARM Ltd making such a claim until now.

Comment

If that's true, then it's good progress. But I'd rather see them compete with the desktop CPUs rather then the poor performing U variants

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Yeah, yeah... They've been saying this for years and have been getting nowhere close. Not to mention that nobody wants Windows ARM laptops and ARM can't see beyond Windows laptops.
                  ARM has been getting better at a faster pace than x86, but yeah their timeline is likely overrated. I wouldn't buy a 2 core CPU, but I would a 4 core one. If they have it by 2021 I'd probably go for it if it used like less than 10W.

And their mali video drivers are closed source, so .. f#ck it.
                  Last edited by cl333r; 16 August 2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Hopefully they'll implement upstream support for ARM-based laptops, otherwise all of this is hardly useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X