No announcement yet.

Fedora Needs Some Help If Continuing To Support The LXQt Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody cares about Fedora, but more importantly, LXQt has been stuck on the 0.11 version for months in Gentoo .
    It’s the only usable DE.

Edit: to be clear I don’t mind staying with LXQt 0.11 as it works well enough for me, but the problem is the Gentoo maintainers decided to update Qt to a version that is incompatible, while dropping the version required for LXQt 0.11.
    Last edited by stqn; 23 July 2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

GNOME gets a lot of flak... but at least it works and functions well on computers that aren't your typical up-to-1080p keyboard/mouse computers.

I spent all of 5 minutes in Xubuntu today when I found out it basically has no support for HiDPI. Saw a font sizing option that did only just that; increase the font size. UI elements were still tiny, and as you can imagine, that looked pretty terrible. Could probably manually resize everything else though. Folder name text line-breaking was also really stupid looking (with "Documents" for example, "Docume" would be on one line, and then "nts" on the line below it...).

And every other mainstream DE doesn't compare to GNOME's usability on 2-in-1/tablets (I have a Dell Latitude slate). GNOME out-the-box supports my light sensor, automatic screen rotation based on orientation, fingerprint login and configuration via built-in GUI options, and even its own onscreen keyboard that works both at the login screen and desktop. Plasma 5 is *slightly* better than everything else (not GNOME) in that it has its own onscreen keyboard at the login screen, but laughably there's no onscreen keyboard once you reach the desktop unless you use a 3rd-party one.

So until another DE catches up to being useful on HiDPI and/or tablets, GNOME is the best choice for me. I am open to wanting to like another DE though; just would prefer not to have to pile on a bunch of config settings and hacks that may end up not working after an update or something.

On a different note, I like the eye-candy GNOME provides. Overall GNOME could be better optimized though, but it isn't a problem for me on relatively ok hardware (my tablet has Intel HD 620 graphics and my desktop pushes 4K with a RX 560).
      Last edited by Guest; 27 July 2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X