Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Drop Xfce and LXqt.
    How about Cinnamon and Mate? Today, I heard for the first time, that there is Fedora Cinnamon and Mate. Doesn't that mean they are kind of pointless? Do they offer anything that Linux Mint doesn't have?
    Last edited by Mthw; 22 July 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post

Gnomes a piece of junk, horrible, horrible design. Simply terrible workflow and useability.
      On that I agree.

How hard can it be to build LXqt? ./Configure, make?
      You could build it on your own then. Do you actually use Fedora LXqt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
        You could build it on your own then. Do you actually use Fedora LXqt?
        Not everyone can build LxQt or Xfce. Specially within the Fedora eco-system you need to carefully produce packages using spec files. Spec files are some sort of shematics in howto deal with the tar.bz2 source file, how it should be compiled and where the resulting binaries, datafiles and so on afterwards go.

We for example use Fedora-netinstall on all our systems where we install Xfce to get things and work done. There are a lot of issues with Gnome that kept us away from using it.

- Tracker is one of these issues.
        - GNOME expose, that causes the Gnome-Shell to permanently go into expose mode. We usually have 3 and more monitors connected to our systems, so we can deal with our workflow. Whenever someone wants to start an app, then all monitors go into the expose for a moment and then returns. There is (or was or still is) no possibility to disable that expose stuff. We need to ensure that we can monitor or external monitors.
        - GNOME has (still has or maybe fixed) issues with disconnecting or connecting multiple usb related network devices. If you turn one off, then all are turned off.
        - Horrible performance and resources required.
        - Horrible ergonomics and button layout and all the buttons clustered on the window bordering. Not saying buttons. I always find myself clicking through all the buttons on the window when I try to print using evince.

Ergo = Xfce is the default desktop.

Xfce is surely not perfect. Has it's issues but doesn't get in my way. It also loads and performa faster on my system than GNOME.

I remember around 2009/2010, where we used RHEL with GNOME2 and Bluecurve on our Desktops at work. It wasn't perfect but it worked. With GNOME 3 things became a total PITA and MESS.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post

If Gnome was the only choice for Linux I would switch to Windows 10.
          I would switch to Windows 7... much better UI than Windows 10. Even now, on Plasma 5, I have it themed to be as similar as possible to Windows 7, because I like Aero.
          When someone puts out a complete clone of Aero, for Linux(but I want the Vista icons, not the 7 ones), they will be my hero forever.

Comment

Are you out of your mind? Then I will not use Fedora. Gnomes a piece of junk, horrible, horrible design. Simply terrible workflow and useability. How hard can it be to build LXqt? ./Configure, make?
            Then...bye.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post

I would switch to Windows 7... much better UI than Windows 10. Even now, on Plasma 5, I have it themed to be as similar as possible to Windows 7, because I like Aero.
              When someone puts out a complete clone of Aero, for Linux(but I want the Vista icons, not the 7 ones), they will be my hero forever.
              Really? You would switch BACK to a now UN-supported, bug ridden, virus ridden piece of crap Winblows. Ok....then enjoy the suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Not everyone can build LxQt or Xfce. Specially within the Fedora eco-system you need to carefully produce packages using spec files. Spec files are some sort of shematics in howto deal with the tar.bz2 source file, how it should be compiled and where the resulting binaries, datafiles and so on afterwards go.
                Yes shame on me I wasn't be able to do a build latest version of LxQT on time, on a Fedora 28. But I found a copr repository for LxQT 0.13 rpm for x86-64

At first I thought it was a random copr repository not the official one which states that it's not ready for production, and whoever will use it will do it at its own risk.

Description

copr to test-build the LXQt 0.13 update, NOT FOR PRODUCTION USAGE!!!

Installation Instructions

Instructions not filled in by author. Author knows what to do. Everybody else should avoid this repo. Active Releases

The following unofficial repositories are provided as-is by owner of this project. Contact the owner directly for bugs or issues (IE: not bugzilla).
                But I was ready to assume the risk and I did not find any problem nor to upgrade from the older 0.11 to 0.13, neither after that, in effective usage.

Comment

Do distros like Fedora KDE/XFCE or OpenSUSE Gnome add anything of value to the Linux ecosystem or are they providing only what others can also do. (I am sorry if I went a little of-topic.)
                  Yes general distribution like Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch do good job by packaging various desktop environments and creating a diverse ecosystem. In this way, users are able to switch naturally between Gnome, Mate, KDE, LxQt and others in a simple way, by adding some packages usually without breaking the system and also well integrated with the rest of the package system. Manual tuning of a DE can require deep knowledge and a lot of work. From the start are eliminated o lot of headache are eliminated. And various distro live spins can be used as reference installs and for test.

Comment

They should drop all DEs.

Let users who want Gnome download and compile it themselves from of a tarball... (or > 100 tarballs snigger

Comment

IMHO I think Fedora should focus on Gnome and leave other DEs.
                      They already do. Anyone running Fedora and not using GNOME is a second-class citizen.

Comment

Working...
                      X