Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Needs Some Help If Continuing To Support The LXQt Desktop

Phoronix: Fedora Needs Some Help If Continuing To Support The LXQt Desktop

Fedora's LXQt desktop is at risk of being dropped if new packagers do not step up to maintain this lightweight Qt desktop environment's support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMHO I think Fedora should focus on Gnome and leave other DEs.

Comment

Fedora sowa focus on gnome, but that doesnt stop others from packaging other desktops or making "spins" for them.

It would be interesting to know the current situation wrt LXDE/LXQt and whether they are going anywhere.

Comment

Damn, I use LXQt on one Fedora system and a couple of colleagues use it too. I'd love to help but I've got my hands more than full already.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
          I think they'll lose quite a bunch of packagers, maintainer and public support if they did this. There is a fair share of people working on Fedora, who uses KDE and XFCE as their primary desktop. With the irrational move of GNOME it would make sense to keep doors open for other Desktops. GNOME may have a strong marketing but their product simply sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

I think they'll lose quite a bunch of packagers, maintainer and public support if they did this. There is a fair share of people working on Fedora, who uses KDE and XFCE as their primary desktop. With the irrational move of GNOME it would make sense to keep doors open for other Desktops. GNOME may have a strong marketing but their product simply sucks.
            If they produce KDE and/or Xfce spins because they feel that they are better than gnome, then they should keep making them. On the other hand, wouldn't it be better if Fedora only used Gnome, Opensuse only used KDE and Ubuntu used (for example) Xfce? Or in other words: Do distros like Fedora KDE/XFCE or OpenSUSE Gnome add anything of value to the Linux ecosystem or are they providing only what others can also do. (I am sorry if I went a little of-topic.)

Comment

If they produce KDE and/or Xfce spins because they feel that they are better than gnome, then they should keep making them. On the other hand, wouldn't it be better if Fedora only used Gnome, Opensuse only used KDE and Ubuntu used (for example) Xfce? Or in other words: Do distros like Fedora KDE/XFCE or OpenSUSE Gnome add anything of value to the Linux ecosystem or are they providing only what others can also do. (I am sorry if I went a little of-topic.)
              If Gnome was the only choice for Linux I would switch to Windows 10.

Comment

I agree with Mthw above with a couple of caveats Support Gnome (of course), KDE and Mate. And that's it.

Gnome because it is the default UI for Fedora and two the top 3 Corporate Linux distros ( Fedora and Ubuntu. KDE would be the second (for those users switching from OpenSuse) and Mate for a lighter weight alternative to Gnome suitable for Raspberry Pi installs.

Drop Xfce and LXqt.

Comment

Are you out of your mind? Then I will not use Fedora. Gnomes a piece of junk, horrible, horrible design. Simply terrible workflow and useability. How hard can it be to build LXqt? ./Configure, make?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post

If Gnome was the only choice for Linux I would switch to Windows 10.
                    That's not what he said, nor what he implied...

Comment

Working...
                    X