Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google/Microsoft/Twitter/Facebook Announce The Open-Source Data Transfer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google/Microsoft/Twitter/Facebook Announce The Open-Source Data Transfer Project

Phoronix: Google/Microsoft/Twitter/Facebook Announce The Open-Source Data Transfer Project

Google in cooperation with Microsoft, Twitter, and Facebook have announced the open-source Data Transfer Project to promote universal data portability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like this is something that lets them share our data with each other (and, well, with other "interested parties" too).

I'd rather have something that lets me control my data instead of something that makes it easier for monetizers and monitors to move my data between their services.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
      Looks like this is something that lets them share our data with each other (and, well, with other "interested parties" too).

I'd rather have something that lets me control my data instead of something that makes it easier for monetizers and monitors to move my data between their services.
      This, neither of these companies is known for privacy and this will only allow them to share who knows what among each other and third parties, EULA for this is going to make for an interesting read.

Comment

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC Core 2.1 with Identity allows you to download a JSON file of the user account. It is built so that the model can be extended with custom data from other data sources, such as database tables.

Comment

What's wrong with Apache Arrow and Parquet?

Comment

They can do that already, if you don't want this, don't use their services.

What's new is that *you* can transfer data in between services. It's basically a step towards GDPR-compliance, which ensures the right to data portability in article 20.

Comment

In my experience it's all about the bottom line. Here I'd suggest (in no particular order) the following apply: (a) Risk mitigation, (b) Increased revenue and (c) reduction of cost/time. Revenue could include data-sharing as Bregma points out. Reduction of cost/time as per Cerberus describes, also including data import at the back end which hits the risk issue.

I rarely find big business is ever 'our friend' and so it's easy to take a cynical view. What I do find though is that aside from some clearly cynical firms, most other businesses don't consciously care about the knock-on effects once they hit their bottom line as it's not their responsibility/area of operation.

That all said, Google's motto is (was?) "Do No Evil" so sure we can trust them because they told us so.... once we get past the bottom line, that is.

Comment

My first thought was as well that the "other interested parties" need a easier access to our data. Surveillance is only for our security ;-)

Comment

Here's an idea:
                  Don't use their services. You can control your own data, pretty effortlessly.
                  Nobody is forcing you to upload your data to them. Unless you're a high-profile criminal, despite what you think, nobody cares about you or your data - you're not special, you're not important, and you're not interesting. Neither am I or anyone else. This paranoia of companies "controlling my data" is ridiculous and so self-centered, and nobody stops to realize that the universe doesn't revolve around them. You are nothing but a number to these multi-billion dollar companies. Frankly, I'd rather them collect my data and give me an ad that's probably relevant to me, than see a bunch of ads for weight loss, makeup, and mortgage ratings.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 July 2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Don't use their services. You can control your own data, pretty effortlessly.
                    Did you know there are lots of data out there, collected by many interested parties, unrelated to any services to which you may have subscribed? It is collected, folded, spindled, mutilated, pushed, filed, stamped, index, briefed, debriefed, and numbered by observers and then traded, exchanged, bought, sold, marked up and marked down and exfiltrated all without your consent or awareness. This open source project is wonderful in that it lowers the barrier to entry of additional parties, and reduces the overhead for participants.

Living in a cave is a solution, but I think you're going to find it damp.

Comment

Working...
                    X