Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Sold Off To Swedish Private Equity Fund

Phoronix: SUSE Sold Off To Swedish Private Equity Fund

It was just shy of four years that SUSE was effectively acquired by Micro Focus as yet another changing of the guard for this long-standing German enterprise Linux distribution. Now today it's been announced that a Swedish private equity fund will be acquiring SUSE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Attachmate was bought for $1.2 billion dollars 4 years ago and now only SUSE is sold for almost twice that. Did SUSE grow that much in that time?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Attachmate was bought for $1.2 billion dollars 4 years ago and now only SUSE is sold for almost twice that. Did SUSE grow that much in that time?
      Trading with Linux distros is the new cryptocurrency

Comment

Did SUSE grow that much in that time?
        I don't know about growth, but SUSE is quite active in cloud computing, which really took off in the last years. Given the hype on everything cloud related, I guess that's something an investor is willing to pay a lot for.
        I think it's sad that they get handed on from investor to investor, I can't imagine that anything good can come out of that (apart from the revenue for the investors of course...).

Comment

Yes , SUSE did grow substantially in that time, in revenue and in employees.

Comment

So riddle me this? If Suse is such a money machine why would Microfocus let such a revenue stream go? And what is up with Suse? It goes from independent to being bought by Novell then Novell was bought by Attachmate who then flung Suse off to Micro Focus who in turn flung it to a private equity group who, (hopefully NOT), will plump it up with debt and leveraged buyouts of other entities in order to just sell it off again in 5 years for a 30% Return On Investment. You DO NOT see this with Red Hat nor with Canonical / Ubuntu....at least not YET.

Comment

Something like this was expected. Got an email last month:
              ... I am reaching out from Bulger Partners (www.bulgerpartners.com), a strategy consulting and technology market research firm based in London and Boston. We are currently researching open source Linux communities and are running a brief10-minute survey (link below) to better understand your perception of the openSUSE community and how it compares with other Linux communities.

Given your experience, we hope you will consider taking our survey between now and June 15th. ...

Comment

Isn't SUSE the base linux for SAP / HANA, or at least the recommended setup by SAP nowdays? In that case it makes sense, if they actively have a partnership with SAP.

Comment

Attachmate acquired SUSE as part of their purchase of Novell which was their primary target. Attachmate, and now MicroFocus seem to focus their business on revenue streams from the sale and maintenance of closed-source, legacy products. They are probably not interested in investing in newer, more cutting edge tech even if the growth potential is higher in the long run. That just isn't their strength.

Comment

Honestly, a lot of SUSE's enterprise side of the house is used to prop up Novell's Legacy Netware product suite (Open Enterprise Server), and making cash based on various cross-brand promotions. (VMWare SUSE -- VMWare reselling SUSE licenses + support, SUSE SAP -- SUSE pre-configured for SAP, etc)

I have honestly not seen very many SUSE enterprise deployments in 15 years of Linux systems administration + support outside of some very specialized environments. Hell, finding old Debian servers in corporate america is more common.

From what i've seen, there are a lot of SUSE Fans in Europe, not sure how that compares to the RedHat / Ubuntu / Debian spread in American corporations.

Anyone have good numbers of the "enterprise distro spread by country?"

Comment

Working...
                    X