Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 2018, RoundCube Next Remains Dead In The Water

Phoronix: In 2018, RoundCube Next Remains Dead In The Water

Three years after Kolab Systems raised more than $100k USD to develop "RoundCube Next" as a next-generation mail and communication platform, there is little to show for it and no active development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was there some explanation to how the money raised would be spent/allocated? If it was a decent amount meeting needs for the project goals, where did the money go? Or did they hit some big issue/conflict?

Comment

Isn't the same guy who's the CTO of Kolab, the same guy behind the KDE vivaldi fiasco? (Another failed crowd funding project)

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
        Isn't the same guy who's the CTO of Kolab, the same guy behind the KDE vivaldi fiasco? (Another failed crowd funding project)
        Aaron Siego, yep.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've moved away from it when Nextcloud Mail got usable. Still lacks some functions, but it works well for just reading and sending mails.

Comment

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but isn't KMail the basis for Kolab's Roundcube? If that is the case then it is little wonder there are serious, perhaps fatal, issues turning that app into a full-fledged corporate email and PIM system. KMail has been unstable since birth. Besides, between Outlook and now Outlook 365, Gmail and G-Suite, ZOHO and other cloud based information sharing and mail solutions why would anyone choose an unstable desktop e-mail solution much less an enterprise one based on KMail ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Someone please correct me if I am wrong but isn't KMail the basis for Kolab's Roundcube?
              You're wrong, in its source https://github.com/roundcube-next/ro...commits/master
              it says it is an ember addon https://emberjs.com/ (and right there you would get that it was going to be bullshit even if it panned out)

Also it was supposed to be a successor to Roundcube mail, which is a web-based mail client, I don't get how you can even think it's based on KMail (which is not web-based) to begin with.

Makes me question your claims of KMail being so unstalble, you know.

Comment

Just use Proton Mail and forget about these scammers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Someone please correct me if I am wrong but isn't KMail the basis for Kolab's Roundcube? If that is the case then it is little wonder there are serious, perhaps fatal, issues turning that app into a full-fledged corporate email and PIM system. KMail has been unstable since birth. Besides, between Outlook and now Outlook 365, Gmail and G-Suite, ZOHO and other cloud based information sharing and mail solutions why would anyone choose an unstable desktop e-mail solution much less an enterprise one based on KMail ?
                  Wrong on everything.

KMail isn't unstable, it works fairly well.
                  Roundcube has nothing to do with KMail. KMail = C++ desktop. Roundcube (and the next version) is web.
                  Enterprise based on KMail? You just grab that out of thin air. There is an enterprise based on the Kontact suite, KMail is part of that suite. The enterprise version of that is made by kolab. I'm not quite sure if that is Kolab Groupware (i think it is) or KolabNow. Regardless of the name, they - kolab - have their own codebase and their own patches to the whole suite. They often contribute their changes back (or they did, not really following that anymore).

I personally think that we're missing a good great open source desktop and web mail client. KMail and Thunderbird used to take those spots for the desktop, but they show their age and are just not that pleasant of an experience to use, to me that is. On the web we have ... Roundcube as is.. There are a dozen or so alternatives, but nothing that can compete with gmail https://alternativeto.net/software/r...rm=self-hosted

Also, don't forget that RoundCube is still very actively developed by the kolab folks https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail
                  It's just the next version that seemed to have died out.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    Just use Proton Mail and forget about these scammers.
                    Proton mail isn't a web-based mail client (to install on your server) afaik.

Comment

Working...
                    X