US Senator Recommends Open-Source WireGuard To NIST For Government VPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    Do note that just because something is open source does not mean that everything is good. Most people don't look at the source and even fewer know whats in their software packages. Unless of course you compiled all of it yourself as well as looked at the source. This is a trust based issue to be honest and it does call to mind some deductive thinking.
    WireGuard is trying to do these things properly...

Originally posted by WireGuard
    WireGuard has been designed with ease-of-implementation and simplicity in mind. It is meant to be easily implemented in very few lines of code, and easily auditable for security vulnerabilities. Compared to behemoths like *Swan/IPsec or OpenVPN/OpenSSL, in which auditing the gigantic codebases is an overwhelming task even for large teams of security experts, WireGuard is meant to be comprehensively reviewable by single individuals.
    Current LoC counts...
    WireGuard - 4k
    OpenVPN - 100k
    IPsec - 405k
    Last edited by Slithery; 30 June 2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

leech I know, which is good. If I ever wanted to use a VPN something like this might be my choice. I see no real reason in using one for someone such as myself.
      Last edited by creative; 30 June 2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unrulycow View Post
        Ron Wyden is the most technologically literate member of the senate by far (a low bar, I know). He's been a leading advocate for security and privacy for years (notably the only one calling for oversight of the NSA and associated agencies) and is one of the only members of congress I have any respect for. See stories about him at Techdirt here. https://www.techdirt.com/search-g.php?q=wyden I am generally neutral on the issue of using Wireguard versus other methods of securing VPNs, but an endorsement from Wyden is actually pretty positive.
        imagine how the global web landscape would change if more tech savy politicians existed !

Comment

Why does a senator care about what VPN NIST uses?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
            Why does a senator care about what VPN NIST uses?
            Who should if not a senator?

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post

imagine how the global web landscape would change if more tech savy politicians existed !
              Indeed. They would have installed total control and surveillance over all of us long ago. Be careful what you wish for.
              * https://www.techinasia.com/singapore...-citizens-mind
              * https://foreignpolicy.com/2014/07/29...al-laboratory/
              Last edited by mastermind; 01 July 2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Who should if not a senator?
                NIST? It's kinda their job.

Comment

Now if we can get more endorsements for using opensource technologies for VPN's then that would be a good thing, no?

Comment

Hoping the userspace implementation in rust/ golang get in shape pretty soon

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post

That would most likely be very, very bad. They are already good at causing damage without really knowing what they're doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X