Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 239 Is Being Prepped For Release With Many Changes

Phoronix: Systemd 239 Is Being Prepped For Release With Many Changes

It has already been three months since the release of systemd 238 and as such release preparations are now underway for systemd 239...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh no, please no... Anything but that... Aaargghh...

Comment

Can't wait to try it on Arch

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
        Anything but what? None of these changes seem to have any negative consequences, and some I would even consider good priorities.

Comment

i can bookmark this and come here when in bad mood to smile

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina

I didn't even make it halfway trough the list and I noticed 3 potentially breaking changes (at least they are documented).
            Like...?

Comment

All of these potentially require modification of userspace stuff that relied on old behavior (found in first 10 paragraphs).

Here is an example of non-breaking change:
              fair enough but this "SR-IOV virtual functions and NPAR partitions" is not something anyone on its right mind will let it go as default without checking thoroughly since this is really hardcore high density virtualization server stuff and this was needed in that sector to be more up to par with VmWare ESXi hence this will not affect any average Joe user desktop ever, is not even usable by default or with regular desktop hardware.

about "RestrictNamespaces= unit property" this should be null for end users on any decent distro as Arch, Sure, RH, etc. but I will give you 50% chance here because crappy distro do exists.

about "systemd-resolve tool has been renamed" I do agree since average Joe may use this tool but also I agree on the why they did it since keeping an uniform naming scheme is important but I think Arch and all other decent distros will simply symlink systemd-resolve -> resolvectl in the meantime to keep it low profile and maybe add some warning to inform the users to use the new name.

Comment

Funny. People complain how systemd is worse than <insert your favorite alternative here>. However when they fix systemd bugs and improve it in other ways, the people will complain even more and more.

Comment

3) How much harder would it be to provide a wrapper that prints extra message "this will stop working at some point in the future" and keeps backward compatibility in the first place?
                  From your second post:
                  The systemd-resolve tool has been renamed to resolvectl (it also remains available under the old name, for compatibility)

Comment

If systemd is already running before we log in, why not just get rid of a log-in manager and make systemd require a password

Comment

Working...
                    X