Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Revived Linux Driver To Be Attempted For The ATI RAGE 128

Phoronix: A Revived Linux Driver To Be Attempted For The ATI RAGE 128

The ATI Rage 128 series was introduced in 1998 while now twenty years later a renewed DDX driver and potentially DRM/KMS kernel driver is going to be attempted for these AGP/PCI graphics cards from the days of OpenGL 1.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why?

This relates to other recent threads which highlight the energy put into legacy hardware. Id rather see the energy put into modern hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Why?

This relates to other recent threads which highlight the energy put into legacy hardware. Id rather see the energy put into modern hardware.
      Is true, but let me quote this:

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

People can work on what they are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Why?

People can work on what they are interested in is party right. Some of your gpus in mobile devices are not much more complex than a r128 and are less well documented. So might be old but it still a fairly good test case to make sure KMS can be made to cover all the kinds of graphics solutions companies today do use.

Nothing worse than not being sure if problem is something about KMS system or is it something about the hardware or is it both. Well documented very old hardware having driver implemented does allow focus on the KMS subsystem.

Comment

Seems like it would just be a better idea to install Windows 95 or 98 on a system old enough to contain a Rage 128.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            Seems like it would just be a better idea to install Windows 95 or 98 on a system old enough to contain a Rage 128.
            I used a Rage 128 Pro with Windows XP and I was happy with it. I still have that old card in a box. I might use it in an old PC if the driver comes back to life. Great news for me!

Comment

Sounds cool. But only if there's OGL 4.6 and Vulkan support. Show these stupid mining cards from these days what a real video card is.

Comment

Say what you will, but those rage 128s are like cockroaches. There's every chance they'll be the last GPUs in the world after the bombs fall.

You'll be glad to have the driver's then

Comment

I remember these cards performing like slugs on anything but 2D back in those days. Was it because of shitty ATI drivers or because the Voodoo cards were better hardware wise?

Comment

Cool, I will also try to find the ppc/mac radeon AGP regression that is plaguing some machines such as my G4 Cube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx9X92iQHM

Comment

Working...
                    X