KDE Developer On Martin Flöser's Departure: VDG Does Not Exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Are you seriously expecting a volunteer to test his code on some random unsupported hardware that he probably does not even own and that he does not want to own? I'm sorry you have NVidia hardware, I have it too, but it's not fair to lay the blame on him for our bad choices.

Funny you talk about HIS rudeness...
    I actually put my hand in my pocket and annually donate to KDE, what do you contribute ?

Comment

That's not a matter of owning an Nvidia card ; the kwin devs decided to drop Nvidia due to the lack of open source drivers / proper support / unsolvable issues / focus on Wayland. For the 1st time in 20 years, I dropped Nvidia and got an AMD card. It kinda sucks for gaming and energy efficiency, but desktop performance & stability is WAY better.

Comment

Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post

Not to mention that it's cumbersome to find an app in the default launcher and is very easy to get lost in. The kicker may be old in its design, but that is no reason to not use it. It's snappy and most importantly it doesn't get in your way or distract you from work. Personally, I use krunner for most of the stuff I do, but for a newbie the kicker will make much more sense.
        Eh, Kickoff is the default launcher and it looks and works similar to the Windows Start Menu since Windows XP (excluding Windows 8 Metro). So "newbies" are already mostly familiar with the Kickoff design.

Comment

Originally posted by mir3x View Post

Really Mutter works better ? So use Mutter with KDE, oh wait it doenst work with anything except Gnome.
          ?
          Mutter does work on desktop environments other than Gnome. Its functionality will be quite basic, but it should work. (tested on both pantheon and mate. It's not my window manager of choice, though. )

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Eh, Kickoff is the default launcher and it looks and works similar to the Windows Start Menu since Windows XP (excluding Windows 8 Metro). So "newbies" are already mostly familiar with the Kickoff design.
            Well, the first thing I like to brag about using Linux to Windows users, is exactly the better organization of the start menu on KDE and other Linux DEs. The default option, on my experience, causes more confusion than good impression for Windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

If you've had bad experiences with the VDG, I'd love to know about them so we can improve. We don't want to be pushy and polarizing.
              Phoronix: Martin Flöser Steps Down As Maintainer Of KDE's KWin Martin Flöser (nee Gräßlin) who has been the maintainer of KDE's KWin since 2010 is leaving

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

I actually put my hand in my pocket and annually donate to KDE, what do you contribute ?
                Wikipedia. So what? Do your donations entitle you to pretend anything? Do you know the difference between donation and purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Wikipedia. So what? Do your donations entitle you to pretend anything? Do you know the difference between donation and purchase?
                  So naive, don't get politics do you ?

Comment

Originally posted by mir3x View Post
                    Really Mutter works better ? So use Mutter with KDE, oh wait it doenst work with anything except Gnome.
                    As far as I know, Mutter and its derivatives are widely adopted in various desktop environments:
                    1. Mutter in GNOME 3 (this is obvious) AKA the Standard Linux Desktop™ (I'm sorry, I could not resist :P), the default desktop environment of EL, Fedora, SLE, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.
                    2. Muffin (Mutter fork) in Cinnamon, the default desktop environment of Linux Mint.
                    3. Gala (based on LibMutter) in Pantheon, the default desktop environment of elementary OS.
                    4. Budgie-wm (based on LibMutter) in Budgie Desktop, the default desktop environment of Solus.
                    5. deepin-wm (Gala fork, based on LibMutter) in Deepin Desktop Environment, the default desktop environment of Deepin.
                    6. ukwm (Mutter fork) in UKUI Desktop Environment, the default desktop environment of Ubuntu Kylin.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      So naive, don't get politics do you ?
                      Please get over yourself and realize FLOSS is about a cause, not a boorish compromise that only very smart people like you are able to make. If and when you'll do that, it will be you we won't miss, not Martin.

Comment

Working...
                      X