Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Yay, drama!

Personally, i am glad we got rid of this Martin guy. A mediocre developer who did more harm than good. KWin is EASILY the worst part of KDE and has been for over a decade. I am using KDE because it let's me arrange my workflow better than Gnome and i like its apps better, but boy every day i am wishing for another compositor. Mutter works so much better it is not even funny. Kwin still crashes and glitches regurarly, and don't get me started on the 4.x days... And despite the still buggy state of Kwin, it is not exactly full of features. It i still behind in Wayland support, for example.

This guy was more known for his blog-drama than his actually worthy contribution, so let him step down so we can have some actual new people lead the project for a change...
    Really Mutter works better ? So use Mutter with KDE, oh wait it doenst work with anything except Gnome. Im using LxQt with Kwin because it worked always perfectly even when KF5 was total unsuable crap for 2 years since it came out - KWin was only thing working right.

Comment

Well, Martin was very often rude to people. He had this "shut up because I say so" attitude about him. It's not actually that surprising that he left when that attitude didn't work against the VDG.

From my very limited dealings with Martin, he seemed to promote conflict rather than cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post
        For something that doesn't exist they sure are pushy.

Also the blog post can be summarized as "Martin was writing nonsense, but every single point he criticized is an area we need to improve in". Great. At least maybe things improve before even more people are driven off.

What does the V in VDG stand for if not visual? Maybe it is pronounced "we", as in "we are the only ones with views that matter" ...
        If you've had bad experiences with the VDG, I'd love to know about them so we can improve. We don't want to be pushy and polarizing.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          The non existant VDG has so far worked wonders to turn KDE 5 into a more functional and beautiful environment than KDE 4. AFAIK they have contributed a pragmatic view that has fixed some of the damage that has been introduced during KDE 4 as "innovations", thus making the environment more enterpisey which is what I personaly like. They even take into account user proposals (I know they did mine regarding the somewhat disfunctional shadow window decorations before 5.12).
          Totally in agree!!! There is a very big difference (for the better) in KDE/Plasma since VDG came up!

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Was Martin Floser working for free?
            I believe Martin is still working for Blue Systems to work on KDE (joined 2012/2013?), and he's not quitting KDE or KWin development, just maintainership as I understand it.

Comment

As long as no one will now attempt to push CSD crap or borderless window BS, I'm fine.

Comment

Changing the subject from Kwin to something else. Speaking of usability, how about change the default launcher? The first thing I change in KDE is that. The second option (kicker?) is much more slimmer and have all functionality you expect right there, without having to search for it, like on the default launcher, witch is, to me, bloated and scary for new users. In fact, I believe is because of it that some people thinks KDE is bloated and too complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Changing the subject from Kwin to something else. Speaking of usability, how about change the default launcher? The first thing I change in KDE is that. The second option (kicker?) is much more slimmer and have all functionality you expect right there, without having to search for it, like on the default launcher, witch is, to me, bloated and scary for new users. In fact, I believe is because of it that some people thinks KDE is bloated and too complicated.
                  Not to mention that it's cumbersome to find an app in the default launcher and is very easy to get lost in. The kicker may be old in its design, but that is no reason to not use it. It's snappy and most importantly it doesn't get in your way or distract you from work. Personally, I use krunner for most of the stuff I do, but for a newbie the kicker will make much more sense.

Comment

Can we perhaps now have EGLStreams compatibility on KWin?

Not that I ever intend to use the proprietary Nvidia driver (I'm saving for a GT 1030 to use with Nouveau, because I only need it to draw my desktop, so the locked clockspeeds do not affect me significantly), but it's really nice to have the option there in case I would ever need to resort to the proprietary driver.

I don't even use any launcher. In fact, I remove the launcher from the kickoff panel in Plasma. Neither do I use the Activites dash or the Applications extension in Gnome 3

For me, it's much faster to start Gnome Launcher or KRunner with Alt+F2 and type out the application name to launch.

Comment

Right click on the launcher button -> alternatives -> choose among other installed launchers
                      Each plasmoid has "alternatives" accessible by the context menu, pretty cool !

Comment

Working...
                      X