No announcement yet.

Martin Flöser Steps Down As Maintainer Of KDE's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While this is a great loss to the KDE community, I tend to disagree with Martin on his objections to the role of VDG. This is an open source project and sometimes you DO have to fight to get your voice heard. It appears that appealing to more users by increasing usability over long-held static beliefs beliefs is bothering him quite a bit. I do hope he changes his mind since his technical expertise is legendary and it would be a tremendous loss to see him go. You can't appease everyone though.

Comment

That are sad news. Thanks for all the hard work on KWin, Martin!

But I also think that the usability and VDG efforts were long enough overdue.
      KDE always had usability issues even before KDE4.
      Maybe new opinions are also a sign of a new user group, which isn't the worst thing.

Comment

Am I reading something wrong or is his complaint about the VDG is that they're finding problems in the visual design and proposing solutions? As that is what a VDG is supposed to do I feel I am missing something around that. His comments about the Usability group are warranted if indeed they are rolling back changes that have been implemented for other reasons like security. Then again sometimes even security changes should have more discussion before becoming final, like with the recent furore around Nautilus's ability to execute files.

Comment

I fail to see what a window manager has to do with the design.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            Am I reading something wrong or is his complaint about the VDG is that they're finding problems in the visual design and proposing solutions?
            Martin is complaining they're providing implementations. Implementations in areas they don't really understand and without consulting the developers. This lead to bad and faulty solutions.

from his mail:
            What I consider as dangerous here is that the usability project sees itself as standing above the security project (they should be on the same level) and that they harm the other project by proposing changes without understanding the implications. Similar to what I wrote about the VDG solutions are presented without asking the domain experts before.

Comment

While I respect his choice I don't agree with the motivations.
              Thanks for all your work, I hope you'll keep coding on kwin after resigning as maintainer.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I am very sorry for Martin and if he believes that this choice is the only one possible for the good of Kde and Martin, he did well to give up.
                However I believe that in the community nobody is essential, I avoid to go into the merits, as I do not have elements to judge.
                Greetings and thanks to Martin and who knows maybe one day you will come back more motivated than before.

Comment

It's a bit sad to see Martin leave since he has done so much for KDE.
                  Maybe it will look better now but i don't think it will work better.
                  On the other hand i am glad to see Martin go an do something else that makes him happy again, i guess pretty much all of us has been working somewhere where it eats you up and you can't stand it anymore and a new start somewhere else is the only thing you can do.

Comment

oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit....

Time to bring up an Arcan test system to be ready for the impending KDEpocalipse.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

In all fairness, the link should have been much earlier in the article, for instance at the beginning of the second paragraph:

Martin Flöser <a>has announced</a>
                      why? because you are not patient enough to read such a short article until the end?

Comment

Working...
                      X