Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Flöser Steps Down As Maintainer Of KDE's KWin

Phoronix: Martin Flöser Steps Down As Maintainer Of KDE's KWin

Martin Flöser (nee Gräßlin) who has been the maintainer of KDE's KWin since 2010 is leaving his post...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This news also comes just days after Eike Hein also stepped down as a KDE maintainer...
    Where did he announce that??

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp! View Post
      Where did he announce that??
      Dude, just click on the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

In all fairness, the link should have been much earlier in the article, for instance at the beginning of the second paragraph:

Martin Flöser <a>has announced</a>

Comment

This news also comes just days after Eike Hein also stepped down as a KDE maintainer due to friction with the KDE VDG.
          This is completely false information, and I am flabbergasted how this editorial mistake could arise. Not only did I not step down from anything KDE, the linked mail is also in the same thread as Martin's announcement ("days after"?) and says the complete opposite.

Please fix this with a visible errata.

Edit: Thanks for the quick fix.
          Last edited by Sho_; 04 June 2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

As a user of KDE products I'm grateful to the VDG for some very beneficial work on usability, although I, too, don't agree with some of the design decisions (the great thing about KDE is that I can change most of these settings back again).

OTOH, having been a developer in the position of having to accept sometimes very strange requests by design teams and clients I know it can be very demotivating. I can totally understand how Martin is feeling about this.

I wish Martin all the best, and the same for whoever steps up as maintainer.

Comment

Oh this is sad news! Didn't expect that he would allow others take him down. Tough I understand that motivation depends from the appreciation of others for the own work. It is a great loss, I wish him all the best for his future and that he get inspired again for new challenges. Kwin was definitely a big one :-)

Update: Reading his mail, I hope that the VDG and usability "experts" take this serious... As a user I'm interested in a working product and not in some fancy and crazy new ideas. So far I always thought KDE makes the right compromise about design and functionalities.
              Last edited by R41N3R; 04 June 2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

dude, just also read whats written there. Eike did not step down!

Comment

So the VDG and their headless approach did cost KDE even more people.
                  Glad it's not only users they lose due to removing functionality and making KDE GNOME 4.0, but finally also some developers.
                  Maybe people can stop them before it's too late, or maybe people can fork the remaining good pieces out and create a desktop for power users.

Comment

What happens now with KWin's (virtually) only maintainer stepping down?

Also, dare I hope that this brings some hope that the new maintainers will consider adding EGLstreams compatibility to KWin under Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X