Firefox Developers Still Hesitant About Using EGL Over GLX On X11 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Developers Still Hesitant About Using EGL Over GLX On X11 Linux

Phoronix: Firefox Developers Still Hesitant About Using EGL Over GLX On X11 Linux

While Wayland support depends upon EGL and there has been EGL support within Mesa and the other graphics drivers on Linux for a number of years now, Firefox developers are still hesitant about shipping EGL support by default for Firefox on X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Martin Stransky is the guy working on bringing Firefox to Wayland. It seems like he pretty much is single-handily responsible for bringing Firefox to Wayland.

Comment

It's a pity how Mozilla supports Linux... GPU acceleration disabled by default, EGL not supported by build, touchscreen scrolling doesn't work by default and yes Wayland support seems to be a one man show.

Comment

Why do I have the feeling they're actually comparing GLES vs desktop GL, not EGL vs GLX?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          Why do I have the feeling they're actually comparing GLES vs desktop GL, not EGL vs GLX?
          Because it is hard to explain in non-technical terms what the difference is between GLX, EGL and GLES. In fact, I know GLES is basically the embedded specification intended for mobile devices, but I don't know what exactly EGL is.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            It's a pity how Mozilla supports Linux... GPU acceleration disabled by default, EGL not supported by build, touchscreen scrolling doesn't work by default and yes Wayland support seems to be a one man show.
            And some people (idiots) still say market share doesn't matter.

Comment

Mozilla dont really care for Linux much as there main userbase is Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                Because it is hard to explain in non-technical terms what the difference is between GLX, EGL and GLES. In fact, I know GLES is basically the embedded specification intended for mobile devices, but I don't know what exactly EGL is.
                These people are software developers. They bloddy well should know. End users don't really need to.

EGL and GLX are interfaces to the windowing system (X, Wayland, Android SurfaceFlinger, macOS, Windows, etc). There are windowing system specific ones (GLX is tied to X, WGL is tied to Windows, CGL is tied to macOS). And then there's EGL, which was meant to be universal, though in practice you still need system specific code when using EGL.

GLES and desktop GL are, as you point out, specifications. They specify functionality that's available to application developers to render or compute things (that's maybe a bit too simplified, but oh well), and that has to be provided by the hardware and driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  EGL is an interface to send over graphics buffers (i.e. rendered images) to be composed or shown on screen.
                  See what I posted here. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...19#post1026619

Comment

I don't get it... Firefox has all sorts of known hardware acceleration issues in Linux, and yet this guy is hesitant about EGL because of some outdated and currently ambiguous performance results? Is it really that hard to do another modern test, and analyze why it's slower (if it still is)? That doesn't sound like too much to ask...
                    I don't know how much of a performance impact EGL has over GLX (whether good or bad), but I doubt it should be enough to drag down Firefox enough to prevent using EGL, unless improperly implemented.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 May 2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X